1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fabricating Plow Pump Motor Cover...pics

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by TJS, Feb 15, 2011.

1. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Since we have a lull in snow I took my plow pump off to change the resivoir O-ring that started seeping last week. I took the pump off my uprights and I also took the motor off the manifold to change the pump shaft bushing. I noticed the pump motor had water in it. There is a "water cap" on the motor but that does not make it water proof. This is a Fenner pump mounted like a Fisher Insta act pump. The Fisher and Western's have no "water cap" at all on their motors. I know water gets thru those as well as I just had an Insta act apart with water in it as well. The pump shaft seal can only do so much. Sooooo I decided to start making a cover. Bent up some alum. and now making a top for it. I will have to drill and tap the uprights and weld 2 stand-offs on the inside of the cover. This will not water proof it, but it will be less water getting on the top of the pump motor. It does clear the lift arm. I had to order some round stock tonite for the stand offs. I also will be slanting the top in the front to give me more clearance for the lift arm. More to follow as I progress.
    Pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Looks real good. Keep us posted.

3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Looks good, Do you think it will need breather holes so the motor won't over heat?

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

No, it is open underneath. This pump was originally mounted under the hood very close to the exhaust manifold and never had a problem of overheating.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Got a little bit more work done on this thing. I welded some stantions and counterbored the other side for socket head cap screws. Here is a vid of some TIG welding aluminum. Machine settings: 225 amps, balance 74, Frequency 175 hz (this gives that nice noise), filler 3/32" 5356, gold 3/32" tunsten, water cooled torch. You hear the water cooler pump in the backround.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0vX601snSw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

pond liner works good 2 and you can cover the whole pump.

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

What I am making will be for the pump when it is in use not just storage.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Finished this thing off today as we are supposed to get more snow tomorrow.
    Anyway, I fully welded the top on and then ground it smooth as I wanted the one piece look. Too bad but the aluminum welds came out great. I then painted it. I also had to take the pump mouting plate off I made a long time ago as I did not drill and tap the holes when mocking the cover up. So I had to weld 3/8-16 nuts in the plate and smooth it out. This cover looks factory...err umm well if the factory made one.
    pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

More pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

DONE !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Looks good, let us know how it works out after the snow flys.

12. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

looks good mines on all the time

13. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

14. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Very nice!

15. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

It worked great. After plowing a small parking lot (a lot of plow movement), I got out and reached touched to motor to see if it was warm. Not at all. It is getting plenty or air.
    Thanks.
    T.J.

16. TremblaySNOW

TremblaySNOW Senior Member

:salute:awesome, job well done looks fantastic all you need know is to paint that blade canary yellow

17. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Psssst. i did. Take the diamond plow conversion link. The SEM paint has since faded bad. Time for a repaint this Summer among other mods.
    T.J.

18. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

real nice job!!!