1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fabricating a Plow Frame

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cjtatar, Sep 11, 2000.

1. cjtatar

cjtatar Member

Hi gang. My first post so please try not to blast me! =D

I recently acquired a Meyers 7ft. Power Angle Plow (E47 I believe) for my Pickup truck. My truck is a 1994 Chevy 1500, Z71, 4x4, 350 V8 w/ 5spd. The plow setup I purchased was used on an early 80's Chevy. The previous owner cobbed up a mounting arrangment for his application, and for those who know a little about Chevies, the frames have changed from early 80's to 94, so it was obvious it wouldn't work with my truck...

I set out using AutoCAD and some cardboard to mock up some concepts. I came up with a pretty slick solution, one that allows the plow to be removed in two pieces, much like today's easy mounts. The A frame is removed (obviously) as well as the hydralic pump mount. I have a jpg available if anyone is interested in seeing my creation.

My question to the group is has anyone performed such a fabrication before? I searched high and dry over the internet and came up empty handed. I'd like to publish my creation for others to show them that it can be done.

I spent $200 on the Meyer's setup, $100 in parts (steel, weld rod, nuts/bolts/drill bits) and have yet to order the other remaining parts (new springs, pads, etc), which I expect to cost another $100.

So, even if my list grows, it's going to cost me $500 for a 7ft plow on my truck...

Your thoughts??
  2. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Sound good to me,just as long as you feel it is strong enough but not to strong. The plow frame need to give before your truck frame.
  3. cjtatar

cjtatar Member

I built the frame primarily of 3/8 inch thick steel plate and angle iron. I'm plenty sure it's robust enough for my application, which today is only my own driveway. I do not plan on getting accounts until I've gained some experience with plowing with this truck. I've plowed before, but with an old international tractor (with no cab or5 sheild).
  4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

For what it's worth, I built the last two subframes and nosepieces for our Sno-Ways. I felt that the $450 for factory parts, combined with what I see as a lack of quality control in their welding processes made it worth the effort. Mine a bit more robust than the factory ones and so far not a crack in MY welds.

I had a factory nosepiece to use as a template and built a jig to locate the pinholes. Other than that, about $35 in material and about 8 hours labor. Not a bad return for spending my spare time doing something I enjoy.
  5. cjtatar

cjtatar Member

I unfortunately have nothing to go by other than pictures I've found on the web (OEM homepages). If you've been to the big dogs homepages, you'll see how damn small their pictures are, so fabrication was totally done with my imagination. I did check with the ME guys at work to verify it would be strong enough for the job...
  6. sly

sly Junior Member

I know its been awhile but I am a new member. Would definitively be interested in seeing some pics and information.

7. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto Digger....

The major manufacturers of plows build in 'failure points' so that the plow frame gives prior to the truck frame failing in the event of an accident.

That's the only thing I'd be careful on when fabing up your own mounting package. It would be human nature to beef it all up so it doesn't break.... that could prove to be very expensive down the road.
  8. Dusty

Dusty Member

I guess that those failure points are why the push beam on my Fisher kept rotating and twisting every year or two until I welded it solid. I don't believe that there are any built in failure points that make much differance in the event of an accident. The plow frame has to be able to take the pressure of pushing snow and that is quite severe in itself.
  9. plowguy06

plowguy06 Member
    from Ohio

i would be interested in seeing the plans. is there a way you could make a link and put it on the forum?
  10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Not blasting you, but 7' for a fullsize truck? Thats barely wide enough when straight. Maybe think about wings or, seems like your handy, add on to both sides to come up with an 8'er. This seems like a lot of work for a couple hundred to spend on a brand new setup WITH proven design AND instructions! Good luck!
  11. 9FT.PILES

9FT.PILES Banned

7' meyer ?

i'd love to check it out!
  12. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Like a snowblower shearpin?

I've never seen a plow with a designed failure point. If so, I'd like to know WHERE.

The ones I've inspected post-accident all had bent frames on the trucks as well as the plows damaged in several areas.
  13. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Depends on the plow.

Fisher's A frame is designed to bend or crack under a heavy hit. Fisher says you must replace the a-frame. However I my self have never done it. Just broken out the tourch and welder, like most of the DPWs around here do.

I haven't figured out where or if Diamond has a failure point. Diamond has the strongest plow a-frame on the market for a pick up truck type plow.

From what I have read on here Meyer the whole plow is a failure point. Just Kidding.

14. plowguy06

plowguy06 Member
    from Ohio

1) meyer and diamond are the same company, dont they use the same a-frames?

2) i have never heard of a fisher a-frame cracking but once I was at my city's service dept garage and they were weleding the broken a-frame on a 10 foot Gledhill plow.
  15. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

While you could envision a failure point on the plow, we're talking specifically about the MOUNTING.
  16. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

It's not something that is advertised, however - when I was participating in discussion forum where the panel consisted of engineers from several different plow manufacturers - they ALL indicated that there are specifically designed failure points in all their equipment. As I recall (it WAS a few years ago) they did expound upon where those points were located.

Even Pro-Tech has failure points in their pushers too.

All cars and vehicles have planned failure points, as mandated by Federal Law.

They are there.
  17. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

) meyer and diamond are the same company, dont they use the same a-frames? -- Plowguy06

Ah no. Diamond is the toughest pick up truck based plow on the market. It is built very tough, unlike meyer. They use the same design mounting system, however. The frame kits, are different, and the plow and a-frame are different. The Diamond frame kit is a lot stronger than the meyer one. The Diamond a-frame is different from the Meyer one.

The only thing shared by the two companies are: Lights and hydro pumps, and controlls.

Meyer and Diamond are two different companies owned by the same company. Diamond used the be a Maine based company till they were bought out. The designers of Diamond were x-Fisher employees who wanted to build a better plow.

As far as Fisher A-frames cracking. Have had it happen once in 16 years. I don't think you can break a Diamond A-frame with out killing the driver. However this is how DPWS break fisher A-frame. A fisher plow 6'9"-9' are rated for 5 MPH. DPWs plow roads with these trucks and pount the liven snot out of them. They go at least 25 MPH 5 times what the plow is rated for, that is how you crack an A-frame. When you hit something at 25 it is much different than at 5 the plow feels the difference. A Diamond plow is rated for 20 MPH that is why it has such a heavy A-Frame.

There is a safety factor involved with the speed. A fisher plow can probably stand 15 MPH no problem, just like a Diamond could probaby stand 30. However at the faster speeds the plow is being stressed more. It is just like a trailer hitch. A 10K hitch will not fall off the truck at 10,500 lbs, that 10K hitch will handle 12K with out any problem, because of safety factors.

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 01-15-2001 at 08:55 AM]
  18. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Do your self a favor and go to your local meyer dealer or CPW and buy the truck side mounting kit. I know a friend that fabbed his own upper loop, and when all was said and done, with him time factored in, it would have been cheaper to buy the unit. You can buy the entire truck side frame and light wiring harness for less than 700.00
    In the long run it will be a lot less costly.
  19. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I believe the new meyer diamond mounting system are identicle and interchangeable. So does this mean the meyeris stronger or the diamond is weaker? I would go with the meyer being stronger.
  20. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Hi Geoff - with all due respect, I wish to bring up a point of order. Several weeks ago, you mentioned that you have never seen a Boss plow for comparison purposes. Today I read that Diamond are the toughest pickup based plows on the market.

I understand your respect for Diamond products, but are they really the "toughest"? I use Boss, and I appreciate their robust construction. However, I have not seen too many Diamonds, bigger Fishers, Northman, Snow way etc, so I have little basis to know how my plow stands up against the designs of others. I do know that I am, for the most part, satisfied with it. I'm not entirely satified with the tripping business, but we all know that saga ad. nozeum.

Again, I say this with respect early Monday morning before my first coffee, not to poke you in particular, but to point out that junior members expect to look here for (and receive) good advice from a mostly unbiased resouce.

John - on my way to the coffee pot