1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fabed up a Backrack today!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by FisherVMan, Jan 20, 2011.

1. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I wanted to get my Revolving Light Bar off the cab of our truck as it was driving me nuts listerning to it grind up there! I looked around at Backracks and they seamed to be around $260ish and here 5% sales tax so I decided before I would spend around $275 for a rack I would just build one myself!
    I went and bought 18' of 1 1/2 X1 1/2" square stock and a piece of 3" angle iron and a couple of pieces of 1/8" plate one 8"X18" for the Light Bar to set on and two 6X8" to hold some backup lights under them and the option to add a couple of self contained Strobes on top of them in the future as they are just the right size to hold Strobes and they protect the backup lights !
    Anyway the stock all cost $66 so yesterday I cut up the square stock and this is what we came up with! It seams to work fantastic as I now hear NOTHING from the light bar; and the back up lights are both 100W Halogens; so you can see like a hawk; behind the truck nowThumbs Up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  2. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

looks good. gets the job done and keeps the wallet happy.

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I like it you left plenty of space to see out your rear window too. Very nice job!

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Good job, looks great!

5. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Yea I think its going to be ok . I did toy with the idea of cutting out that piece right where the 3rd Brake light is and then 45in the ends like a factory rack is but then it would have been flimsy in the center with just the plate so I bagged that idea and just went solid stock and it is rugged! I may add some rails down the sides later to tie to ??? Not sure on that yet.
    I am not quite as impressed as I thought I would be with how much the rear lights are lighting up as they are very bright but seam to be reflecting off the top of my sand contanier in the back of the body by the tailgate???? They are both standard floods that have been upgraded to 130W bulbs but maybe a different type of pattern would be better than those floods??? No sure on that one. I have another one down of the T-bar in my Reece hitch that also has a red strobe and the back up beeper on it!

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

looks great...good work

7. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Very nice Vman. It sure does look rugged.

8. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Looks good. Nice job.

9. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

nice, kathadin rack style

10. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Thanks guys I think in the spring; I will look into maybe MIG welding cover passes; over all the 7018 welds, to fancy it up and may add some little scalloped braces under that plate the light bar is on just to stiffen it right up. And find out what it will cost me to take it somewhere and have it Powder Coated??? I hit it with a couple of quick coats of sandable primer and then a fast can of Gloss Black and in TWO days with all the #*@#()*&$# Calcium they use now here in Maine . I can see RUST coming right thru the paint in the weld area??? Imagine what it is doing to the frame of our trucks??
    OMG!
    Any ideas or advice on the type of backup lights others are running up here on a rack would be appreaciated as this flood type I have on here is giving ALOT of reflection off the tailgate area??? Tricks or Tips ????

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  11. stan the man

stan the man Senior Member
    from maine

my cost around 300.00 yours is better then my

12. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

i run 4 driving beam lights from vip, rectangular, middle ones pointed straight back outers to the side, can see everything far and close

13. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Looks great and as for lights I have to back up lights on my rack and they help some but they hit the tailgate so I have to have them pointing back why up high so they just light up the sky more hen hit the ground behind the truck