1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fabbing plow brackets to work

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by badbowtie, Oct 4, 2013.

1. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I have a older meyer plow setup that is ez custom mount that goes behind the bumper. I also bought a ez classic tube mount for my 99 k3500 truck. I am going to mount the braket to the frame and that has the ears for the plow to attach. I need to see if anybody has taken the top / pump light bracket and welded round tube off it to slide into the tube mount on the truck. I sure would like to see a couple pictures of people doing this for some ideas. Thanks I was trying to search around and not finding much.

2. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

You can see the pump bracket and light setup I have I know it would be easier to just buy the round hoop but I am not into paying 400 for one and just don't have the money. So I have the braket mounted up under the truck that you can see. I am thinking just buy the round pipe and weld it to the pump braket and make it slide in. I would like to see someone else that has done this for some ideas. I hope posting pictures you guys can understand what I am trying to do.

Thanks in advance

IMG_20131004_154733_598.jpg

IMG_20131004_154759_122.jpg

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I’ve eliminated the Tube Hoop for my EZ Mount Classic on my 97 and built a complete bumper to mount the pump and lights. Link to some pics, http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=146542&highlight=buff check out post #9

What you want to do is possible providing you have decent fab and good welding skills. You’ll need to make sure you maintain the location of the pump, meaning distance from the lift arm to the pin holes that the “A” frame are pinned too. See pic below I suggest you use 3/16” DOM tube to come out of the frame mount, then you can use some 3” X3/16” square tube to build a frame to mount the Classic mount to. If you get frustrated I do have 3 Tube Hoops and only have a need for one, so I do have a couple of spares and if you wanted to buy one of them I’d part ways with it for $200 and you pay shipping. They aren’t new but they also aren’t rusted and beat up.

pump.jpg

4. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

Okay I was thinking using 2" pipe sch 40 which is like 2-3/8 OD to slide in side the bracket then was going to switch to square tubing for better welding areas on the classic mount. I kind of figured height did not really matter but what is the measurement for the front of the lift arm to the pins I figured I could run a plumb bob down the lift arm and then run tape out from the A- frame pins but not sure what it is supposed to be. Like were your blue line is.
    Thanks

5. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

Well I got 2" sch 40 pipe and some square tubing to start playing around with hopefully tonight. I just need to decide how far from the a frame mount the ram needs to be.

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

What machine are you welding this project with.

7. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

My Hobart 210mvp on 220 with bottle.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds good.

9. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

Well just a update I got the pipe all figured out and welded. I probably going to add one more gusset on each side. I don't think it would or could ever break but I guess never hurts. I just have to get it all wired up. I need to find something to use for the two four gauge wires the power and ground basically two bullet connectors any ideas. I also guess I need to call meyer tomorrow and try to figure out how to hook the lights all up. Here are two pictures.

IMG_20131008_183937_852.jpg

IMG_20131008_184740_042.jpg

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Some advice. Clean the mill scale off your material before welding. Use a sanding disc on a grinder. Sand till you see shiny metal.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

12. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

If I would of taken closer pics you would of seen were I did use rolocs to clean right were I welded. I just marked were I was welding and didn't clean way past welds to see it. I did find the wiring diagram for the lights on meyer site so hopefully I will wire everything up tomorrow. I just have to figure out were to mount the L bracket for the switches. I am really thinking left knee side so I you can use left hand for plow control and right for shifter. I know in my dads truck with newer meyer that has the handheld controller that is how I do it.

13. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I got the gussets all made today and welded on and even got the truck all wired just have to find some 4 gauge bullet connectors still to wire power and ground and everything else is done.

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd stick to a bullet connector that's designed for a plow, they seal good to keep out moisture which will save you headaches down the road.

pump side.jpg

truck side.jpg

15. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

That is the ones I want to use but I am not interested in paying 60.00+ dollars for them that is highway robbery. I would like to just buy the two male and female ends and solder them and shrink tube them. I am having problems just buying them.

16. Yardvarkman

Yardvarkman Member
    from NE Ohio

17. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

That is the same ends I ended up buying with the rubber boot ends to keep clean when not using them. I ended up ordering from ebay everything is done and ready for snow other than I need to install the wings on the plow still.