1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fab my own blade

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by MIDTOWNPC, Oct 19, 2007.

1. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

just picked up an older artic 8 ft blade for cheap. want to weld a quick tach mount to it and use it on the bobcat s300. any problems that anyone has come across doing this. Id like to be able to have the ability to put some down pressure on the blade when needed.
    I was thinking about adding prowings also.

The other problem I have is that I drive the bobcat from job to job and would love to be able to carry the blade and the bucket. Any ideas

2. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Let the welder be your friend and go to town !!:drinkup:

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

try to use a heavy steel plate for your backer on the Q/A you'll be glad you have the extra weight

4. Spudgunner

Spudgunner Member

One of my neighbors fabricated a QA mount that he welded into the front bucket of his old JD 310A backhoe. He put an Erskine snowblower on it. I don't think the hydraulics of the hoe were up to the task, but it was a valid proof of concept, I guess. I've since come to the conclusion that a good welder can fab almost anything. Good luck!

5. powerjoke

i know it aint a skid loader but the parts are there, i will try to post a few pics of a ss q/a later

from my exp. it would not be wise to be able to put down pressure, the only reason is that if you put ANY hired hand on it they are morelikely to tear it up

lets just say that you are scraping along and you go up an incline..... the machine is now supported by the blade and the REAR tires on the machine (S-300 is huge) unless the boom is on float which you might think you will do it each time but you'll forget (trust me) and even if you are only on flat surface etc. with a intermediate operator 9 times out of 10 he'll have the front wheels off the ground wich you'll desperatley need for traction when angle plowing.

the best thing in the world is a bucket for backdragging,

this tractor don't have the lift support tower on it yet i am still building it but it will be picked up with a chain just like if on a truck

let me know if any more Q's i'll try to answer

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Looks good PJ. Is that NH loader an ALo? All our loaders, even our skid, use the same QT. Your harness looks good, I still need to take some pics. Your right about the down pressure. You probably already know this but with that blade once you get your height set, you can just roll your bucket back to lift the blade up and down, works good IMO.

7. powerjoke

Looks good PJ. Is that NH loader an ALo? All our loaders, even our skid, use the same QT. Your harness looks good, I still need to take some pics. Your right about the down pressure. You probably already know this but with that blade once you get your height set, you can just roll your bucket back to lift the blade up and down, works good IMO.

it is a factory NH i think it is a 830tl but it's made by quikie, but they won't sell them as aftermarket loaders for tractors with terraglide. i am building this one so the bucket roll is all the way back, because the lowest part of the q/a will drag the ground with loader all way down and rolled out just a little bit, i will build it and then i will imobilize the bucket roll,

but the way you have yours JD is the way we have the ss loaders but the q/a doesn't set so low

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Search bobcat skid steer on ebay, they always have qa plates on there.

9. powerjoke

your right they are typicly on e-bay for about $75-85 plus s/h,

most of the time i build my own, just cause i never have a pre-made one around and they are relitively simple, just a little flat iron,

i have one ss blade that is on a Breaker backing plate that weighs about 400 lb (1"thick) it was built factory heavy to keep the vibation out of the machine, and it by far works the best the blade don't realy weigh anything

but steel is high anymore and it'll prob cost $200+ just for the backer, but if you are just doing drives and other short runs you'll prob be fine, we are using a ss like a truck we'll send it all over town to other parkin lots and long drives etc.

as far as trying to trasnport the blade and bcket you'll just have to expiroment but if you have a set of palet forks you can just put both peices on a palet and cary them that way (maybe a little salt too)

10. MIDTOWNPC

I just layed it all out, found the quick attache plate, going to weld 2 strong think crossers on the top and bottom and then weld a set of pigs ears recieverd on to the crossers. I will start with a chain and get the hydroliques working. There is only one contract that I will need to really back drag and have good down pressure and for that job I can leave the bucket at the location with the salt, so I should be good with just the chain. Nice work on the new holland. Always would love to see more pics as you progress.

11. MIDTOWNPC

one crosser on the bottom and another on the top with a hook for the chain. then just need two recievers for the pigs ears.

HPIM2411.jpg

12. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice plow. Thats a neat loader.

13. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

you mentioned the hook for the chain,i would make an angle bracket from the bobtach down to the frame to make the plow a tighter hookup.The reason i say this is because we made a few like that and what would happen was the chain would get stretched and break from when the tilt pedal was applied to lift plow it would jump up then down on the chain.(

after we made a bracket for it it was fine also if you make it with pins you can remove the plow and fabricate a hitch on the bobtach and make it to move trailers around, that is very handy to push a trailer in a tight spot. just my 2 cents.

14. powerjoke

post some pic's how's the project comin or did ya find somethin else to do:drinkup: ;)

15. MIDTOWNPC

Bobcat is still finishing one job, been raining a fair bit here. I have been getting the truck ready. Had to fix the western, also fluid filmed the blade, rigged up some lights and not just want to build a frame to raise the tornado salter up to help with any freeze up and make some room in the bed for a few 5 galon pails of salt. I will post some pics tonight if I can get them before dark.

16. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

17. MIDTOWNPC

Good pic. I have it all layed out ready to go, just need to weld. I have the biggest bobcat so the 8ft blade could be extended.

18. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

If you have a Snow Bucket, I would think you would be able to pick up the mount side first to lift and carry the blade. Throw a tie down on if theres any traffic. Might work......
    My S250 wont be here for another 2 weeks, other wise I could tell ya.

19. MIDTOWNPC

testing

Well I got it welded togeather and got a chance to test it out. Pretty nice compared to a bucket. I installed restricter valves as suggested and they slow things down angeling left and right. I just need to tidy up the hoses and paint the plow. My times were alot quicker on my lots compared to last year with a bucket. I was able to plow both directions and still back drag with downpressure and get any ice up. I would think a set of wings would really be awesome. Its no blizzard 8611 but so far the costs run pretty cheap

$200 plow $200 hoses and cupplers/fittings, going to need some paint and fluid film and some guides. I am thinking bobcat orange

about 7 hours so far another 4 and I should be done

plow1.jpg

plow2.jpg

20. MIDTOWNPC

think I lowered the quality too low lets try again here

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007