1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F8000 w/ 7.8 loss of power

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DCS MN, Mar 1, 2010.

1. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

I bought a 88 F8000 single axle with a ford 7.8 diesel and 110000 miles.

The first few times I drove it it ran great, down the road at 65mph. Now the auto tranny seems to hold the gears and the motor is lacking power to get it up to speed. Down hill is fine but up hill is challange. Not to mention I rarely see 55mph.
    I changed the fuel filters but that didn't help much.
    Could there be bent linkage? I can't get the hood up until I take off the wing to really look under the hood but any suggestions would help.

And for the guys that helped on the super duty front end issue, thanks the sway bar bushings were very worn.:mechanic:

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Something as simple as a plugged air filter will cause a loss of power like that.

Any check engine lights on?

3. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

No lights, happend after plowing one of my lots and when I got back on the highway there was just no power and hasn't changed since. My lots are close to eachother so I can take back roads but it will be coming home soon so I would like to fix it before summer begins.

4. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

And I think its a 7.8, but its ford's inline 6 diesel. Not real familar with them.

5. damian

damian Senior Member

check to see if throttle lever is getting to full fuel at the pump.and good fuel filters