1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F650 Pricing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cda817, Mar 3, 2012.

1. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

I have the opportunity to buy a 2004 F650XLT w/54,000 miles and 6.0L and Allison Transmission very clean rig for $31,500. It also has a 10' Boss super duty plow and a 4cy Downeaster sander on it. I know this is 100k brand new but seems like a good deal. Not crazy about the Boss but that can be changed later. Just wondering what you guys thought and things to look for as you don't see these up for sale used very often. Thank you!

2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

That's a little on the high side, in my area...
    Are you sure they are $100k new?

3. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

is the truck red? Think I saw the same ad. Nice truck but thats a damn light engine for that truck IMO, and one (especially a 2004) that is notorious for injector issues etc. I wouldn't

4. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

are f-650 at the towing company with the Cummings and the $20,000 +/-, 24 steel rollback bed was only $70k.

5. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

and i think the 6.0l is also under powered for that truck because it sure it in my 1tons.

6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's a Cummings?

8. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

cummins* the auto spell check sucks.it changes all my words for me .

9. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Are you serious?

10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I went and looked at that truck. I was surprised that it actually moved pretty well for having the 6.0L I would assumed the factory tune on it is different then in a F-250-350, especially having the Allison in it.

That being said, even with the plow and spreader (spreader is in good shape and big) its not 100k new. For that matter I would have just set it up with a municipal body (front spreader) as its a 2wd truck. You can get that complete setup new for 75k I just priced it. My 550 same setup was 55k.

As for rarity, I think you will start seeing more of these come up and as I said in a previous thread, given the overall weight you really can carry much more weight then I can in a 550. Add in insurance, maintenance, etc and I don't see it paying off as much as a 450/550 would. It's a niche truck IMO. Go bigger for a CDL truck and a big jump in load capacity, or stay smaller with the one ton type dump. It just won't get much efficient use. I see that you have a 750 so maybe you find them useful. I got most of my information on this from my friend who has a 650 with a muni body and it sits a lot over his 550s or gets underused delivering 3 yards of topsoil (at capacity same as my 550)

In CT I would put that truck around $25000 as it sat when I looked at it last week. I did not make an offer.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  11. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

I assumed the truck w/body was in the 70-80k range I had only priced them with the cummins before. Also the plow and sander are about 8-10 each new. Even if you go on the low ends 80-90k. I'm really just looking for a truck that will haul around a 4yd sander with ease and has the weight to make long pushes. I don't really need to get anywhere fast as long as the truck gets there which is why the 6.0L didn't bother me too much. I'll take it for a test drive, who knows maybe I can get the guy under 30k which wouldn't be bad for a turn key truck.

12. Flipper

from CT

The problem is with the weight of the body and the spreader and a 10 ft plow you will be lucky to get 3 yards of salt in their legally. Those trucks seem to be magents for DOT from what I hear (at least in western CT).

I think more and more you will see people with 550-750 trucks setting them up with the muni bodies and getting away from the big spreaders.

13. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

My plan was to set this truck up with a switch and go so that I could eliminate the weight of the dump body in the winter time this would allow it to carry the full 4 yds. I'm not too worried about dealing with the DOT we are careful and have dealt with them before and had no problems. Plus this dump body and the spreader can both be easily changed to work with a switchngo setup.

14. Flipper

from CT

That's a good idea. Don't forget though the truckside setup for a switch and go still has a good amount of weight over a dump sub frame. I think you will come out ahead but it won't make that much of a difference.

15. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Did it really bug you that much?

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I've never heard of it, and it's not in the dictionary. Thought it was a chance to learn something new.