1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f550 vs IHC

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Jay brown, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i'm getting tired of abusing our pulling truck, a 2000 f550 7.3 automatic with low gears. i'm looking at buying a 1989 IHC 7.3 non turbo 5 speed tractor. the IHC is built and rated much heavier than the f550. anyone know how the IHC would compare to the f550 for pulling power?
  2. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

I dont have any experience with anything that size so I cant help ya out. But I am curious, what are you pulling/towing that your killing the f550?
  3. Jay brown

i tow around our construction tractor (4x4 forklift). with the work platform it weighs a little over 24k. the truck is grossing a shade under 40k loaded. it's been doing it fine now for 7 years but i would like something with a little more capacity and maybe a little more power.
  4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Without knowing any details of the IH truck I would say the IH truck will most certainly handle the weights you are towing. But comparing a N/A diesel to a turbocharged one is apples to oranges. The N/A will get the job done, and is as reliable as the day is long. The turbocharged 7.3 is also reliable and much more powerful.
  5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Sorry, but Im curious to know what an IHC is. I've prolly seen a million out on the road but never knew what the correct term for that kind of vechicle was. lol.

Thanks guys.
  6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

International Harvester Corp. (real old school like me) lol
  7. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Cant find one with the DT466? I havent pulled with a F550 but the 7.3 IHC in a ramp truck that I used to run on occasion seemed kind of flat to me ,not much power on the road,good around town.I wish I could remember the specs as far as trans, final drive etc.... I think it had a single speed rear which would hurt it on the highway....The DT's have good power and good torque do the job well without overkill.
  8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

What does your 550 have for an axle ratio?
  9. Jay brown

5.30 something??? if i remember right
  10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Well, that is one of the lowest. Is your 550 4x4? You might miss that if it is. Even if a bigger truck doesn't have as strong an engine as the PSD, the tranny and gearing should make up for it enough that it will work for you. 40k combined is alot for a 550. I'd think a heavier truck would definitely pull it better. is your trailer a gooseneck? If not :eek:
  11. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Your f550 would pull alot better than the IH is going to with the 7.3. THe IH will def stop the load better though which is more important. If you are really going to get the IH, find one witht he DT466 motor like was stated earlier. They are real popular and used for alot years, and very tunable for different setups powerwise since they were used in such a varied lineup of the IH's.
  12. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

Try to find a truck with the DT466. The 7.3L N/A will be a slug with that load, the only benefit will be the stopping power. Most with the 7.3 N/A will not be rated much better than the F-550 and if it is it will be slow. Chris