1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F550 Rear Studs Sheering Off

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mjk039, Feb 21, 2003.

1. mjk039

mjk039 Junior Member
    from PA

I wanted to inform people that own F550 trucks about a problem that we are experiencing in PA. Several townships and cities are experiencing the rear tires falling off of the truck and the studs are sheering off. The lug nuts are still attached to the broken stud. I personally had this happen to 2 of my F550's. Ford stated so far that they havent had any problems. Insurance companies that I have talked to stated that they have paid many claims out on this problem and are in the process of going after Ford to recoupe their losses. The proper torque for the lug nuts are 155-160 Ft Lbs Torque. I,m querious if any other people have had this problem.
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite!:drinkup:

I haven't had any problems on my 550. I've had studs pop on other trucks, but it has always been due to loose nuts. I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the case here. When you get the wheels spinning with a load on, the lugs tend to loosen and need to be retorqued.

If these drivers are continuing until they've all popped and the wheel falls off, then they aren't paying attention to what their truck is telling them. When you hear a rattle or feel a vibration you need to determine the cause to prevent these things from happening.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2003
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

That is why during long term plowing events. The truck should get a quick walk around check.

Next town over had a 1 ton chevy, with a 4 yard sander, full of sand, plow and wing, do the same thing.

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Thats an interesting way to spell the word "curious". Welcome to PlowSite!! :drinkup: Mike
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

My driver brought my 350 back once and said there was a bad vibration in the steering. I took a look, three studs were gone and the rest had the nuts backed off half way. Duhhh!!!:realmad:
  6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

One of the locals has a F-450 that does the same thing,twice now,once at road speed on a interstate!Big $$$ gettin a 450 with 9.5 V plow and sander with dump box towed off an interstate with some of your wheels missing!