1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f550 question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ChicagoPlower, Mar 29, 2008.

1. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

I'm looking to buy either a f550 or a f450 this spring. It's going to be used mostly for hauling bulk materiels such as topsoil, compost, gravel, mulch and not that much for towing. Does anyone own a 550 or a 450 with the v10 engine? How do they perform when carrying serious weight? I have the 6.0 diesel engine in my 06 350 and like it's power for towing and plowing. But two trips to the dealer with check engine light issues this year,the cost of the 6.4 diesel engine,and the rising price of diesel fuel is making me look real hard at the v-10.
    Thanks-

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your going to be hauling bulk your better off with a dump. These trucks are good for what,3-4 yards of topsoil same with mulch,you'll be over weight with anymore then that.

3. ChicagoPlower

We're going to put a dump bed on it , probably 11 ft. The g.v.w.r. of the f550 is right around 18,000 lbs. which gives the truck a payload capacity of around 9-10,000 lbs. give or take depending on the engine and dump bed size. You're right, topsoil weighs around 2,000 lbs a yard, gravel a bit more, so the most we can haul is 4-5 yards. Compost and mulch weighs about half as much so we could haul more. I would love to buy a 750 or an International but it's not in the budget. As long as the 550 can haul three pallets of sod to patch up all my complimentary lawn removal this winter, I'll be fine.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's about what I haul with my dump trailer and f250.

stone job franks 001 (Small).jpg

5. ChicagoPlower

I've got the almost the same dumping trailer, 14 ft. benke with a payload capacity of about 9k. I love it and my f-350 pulls it great. I need another a dumptruck as well. Our one ton gmc is great for maintenance, but useless for construction.