1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F550 plow and wing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Catskill Plowin, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Hello, I've just found your site,my first post. I'm getting a new Ford F550 6.0 Auto., I'm looking for a wing like the ones on bigger trucks. It's mounted on the passinger side, seperate from the main plow. I've went on Goggle and found some sites for larger wings but not exactly what I've been looking for.Thanks

2. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Its called a sidewing.

3. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Skip the side wing, if your buying a F 550 go to an Upfitter that does muni trucks, and get an Everest plow and wing.

Geoff

5. looks kind of light

Not exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a front mounted tower to raise up the wing to knock the tops off of a bank.Like that you can get into the pass. side door. But it doesn't look heavy enough .Thanks

6. GeoffD

Do you have a link?

7. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

8. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Scroll down for the pics.

9. Thanks QMVA for the links. In the posts I found the link for www.hpfairfield.com I think he has the set up I'm looking for.

10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

i agree with geoffd go with an uplifter, that truck will do fine with it. sidewing is good but too small and light in this case:nod:

11. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I thought that side-wing was going to offer a bigger side-wing specifically for the f450 and f550. I believe it was going to be 18 " longer. :D :D

12. GeoffD

Everest does not have a website that works. However any truck upfitter that does muni trucks will be able to point you in the right direction. What state are you in?

Skip the sidewing, it will not last on a F 550

Geoff

13. NYRookie

NYRookie Member

I don't know how far you are from Albany, but try Arrowhead Equipment in Colonie. They put on my last 2 plows and they do some big stuff. They also do bodies, sanders and other stuff.

14. Side wing

GeoffD that link I found hpfairfeild.com is in "New England" some where.They have Everest plows and wings,I send for info. I agree,that sidewing is to light for the work I do . NYRookie I'll look for your guy in Colonie,thats about two hours north of me.What do you think of your X-plow?Thanks

15. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Arrowhead

If Arrowhead is 2 hours north then Bonesteel in Kingston should be closer. You might also want to check out dealers in Poughkeepsie.
    If you do decide to travel to Albany skip Arrowhead and go to T&T/Body King in Latham. If you want reasons I've got dozens from many of their former customers. Nothing I wish to post but I'd be happy to P.M. them to you.

16. Side wing

JElmWin, Bonsteel is about an hour from me,would be better for me also.I know they have Fisher Plows , do they have bigger stuff? Any web site?Thanks

17. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

18. GeoffD

My employer does a lot of Business with HP Fairfield, however there closest branch to you is in Mass. Long story short they have very high quality work, and a great sales team.

Geoff

19. sidewing

sidewing Junior Member

Hi Catskill Plowin:

If you don't mind, I would add my 2 cents to your wing decision.

FYI, I work for Sidewing, so have a clear bias in that direction. I have also seen, and admire, both H.P. Fairfield and Everest's products. They both make excellent wings, and are great companies.

When you are looking at wings, I think you need to look at the following:
    - cost
    - complexity (of installation and operation)
    - ease of removal
    - front axle weights and forces

In particular, and for the size of truck you are looking at, the last point should be critical. There is no question that a front-mounted wing will push a lot of snow. However, on an F550 it is a lot of additional weight to load onto the front axle. Typically this combination will put the truck a thousand pounds or more over its front axle limits. And, you have some 14-16 feet of blades pushing sideways, often very hard, against your 2 front tires and suspension.

One of the areas we run up against in selling Sidewing is that people have tried to use wings before on lighter-duty trucks. In almost every case, they loved the wing but couldn't stand the constant front-end maintenance the extra weight and forces caused. Sidewing solves this problem by balancing both the weight of the plows and the forces through the entire truck.

Both Arrowhead and Bonesteel either have installed Sidewing or have a demo truck now, and can show you the differences between a front-mounted wing and Sidewing. That should give you a pretty good base to make an informed decision.

Kind regards,

Reg McGuire
    Sidewing Snowplows

20. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

How would the SideWing mount to a truck with a dump body or flat deck? I know that the front mount wings do not interfere with the bed area.