1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F550 Dump.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JD PLOWER, Apr 15, 2003.

1. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm hoping some you might be able to help me out with some numbers on a 2002 F-550 4x4 Dump.
    141" wheelbase
    XL decor
    AC
    9' rugby dump bed
    pintle hitch
    Snowplow package
    Just your basic working dump.

One dealer has offered me $38,500 with incentives (roughly $4000). This is just over the phone so we still have along way to go before signing papers. I have another dealer who is going to get back to me with numbers on a nearly identical truck except one is green the other is white but that really is of no concern to me. Also does anyone know the price for a 9' rugby dump installed?

My question is what should I be paying for a truck like this and how much in the way of incentives did you guys get when buying? Any help is greatly appreciated

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

If the price is 38K with the body, the price sounds like its a decent deal to me.

Geoff

3. JD PLOWER

Yes Geoff it does include the body, which does surprise me a bit also, but then again I don't really get into pricing this size truck all that often.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

What engine/trans? If its a V10 /5/6 speed its a bit high. IF its a PSD/auto the price is right.

5. JD PLOWER

Sorry John I just realized I forgot to mention the engine :eek: Yes its a diesel.

6. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

550 4x4 Dump.
    141" wheelbase
    XL decor
    AC
    9' rugby dump bed
    pintle hitch
    Snowplow package

One dealer has offered me $38,500 with incentives

OK My 2000 is very similar set up.

550 4x4 Dump. PSD/Auto
    141" wheelbase
    XL decor
    AC
    9' Galion dump bed
    pintle hitch Done at my friends welding shop ( $ 300)
    Snowplow package

My was $36,600 with $8000 down it is $552.60 a month with ford commercial lease.

Your price sounds about right. I got mine at a heavy truck dealer only handling f250-650's. If you have one near you. You might be able to get a better deal. It worked for me.

7. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I know its a little ways away from you but try:

Interstate Truck Center
    45 Brainard Road Hartford, CT 06114
    Phone: (860) 706-0950
    Fax: (860) 524-5504
    Sales: (806) 706-0950

They are right off of 91 in Hartford and they usually have some big Fords there.

See if maybe they can find you something.

Jay

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

JD Stoneham Ford has a 450 same specs you said for youe 550 for $36,600

9. JD PLOWER

Cat thanks for the heads up! Do you know what type of engine it has (7.3 or 6.0)? I just want to stay away from a new engine for now. My other concern is interest rates. The dealer I talked to today said even with a spotless history I would only get a 6.5% rate from Ford since I'm taking the rebates and my bank has said they won't do commercial truck loans :realmad: Thanks anyway cat I'l call them tomorrow.

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

It's a 2002 i'm pretty sure a 7.3
    just saw the ad in the stonham sun
    The ad reads

F-450
    4x4,
    auto,diesel
    a/c
    3-4 yds body
    limited slip
    trailer tow package
    lists for$43,320
    selling price #36,795

STK #22-3048

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

JD, did you take the bait?

12. JD PLOWER

No pelican I'm actually having a hard time trying to get a reasonable rate for the financing. This is the first time I've gone into a loan on a truck above a 350 and I wasn't aware that most banks will not do commercial truck loans on anything larger than a 350. So I'm stuck with Ford's rate of 6.5 to as much as 6.9. I was hoping to grab something for 4% but thats not going to happen.

13. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I would say that it is a good deal. When I bought my 99 new I paid $34,800, it is a dually, super cab, PSD, 6 spd, 4X4 XLT. And just last fall I bought my 03 F-350 FX4, 7.3L PSD, 6 spd, Reg cab, SRW, for just the truck I paid $29,000. But by the time I put the plow, sander, corner strobe lights, air locker in the frontend and Detroit locker rear, 2.5" leveling kit front, 5,000 lbs airbags rear, computer chip, exhaust system, rims, tires, 30K gooseneck and 30K fifth wheel hitchs, a full Weathergaurd tool box set of te summer, and a few other things on it I am guessing that I have $38000-40000 into it.

As far as loans for big trucks go, last month I had to take out a loan for part of the 96 GMC 8500 tandem axle with 12yd dump that I bought. I ended up getting a loan from my local bank that I do most of my business with at 5% on 30 months. The loan officer told me that any truck over a 1 ton, they list it as a addition to a small business, and give a business loan instead of a regular car or truck loan.

Good luck with buying the truck!!!:waving:

14. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Team Yamaha, that sounds like an awesome deal on the F350 considering its also a diesel. What was the sticker price on it? How did you get such a good deal? Did you order it, or was it already on the lot? It seems you can get a better deal on a vehicle if its already sitting on the lot instead of custom ordering what you want. Mike :)

15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Mike, it's actually the opposite, depending on how long the vehicle has been sitting on the lot. I believe Ford gives the dealers a 2 week grace period, after which they begin paying interest on that vehicle. Any interest paid out has to be recovered in the sale price.

If they know the truck is sold before it rolls off the truck, they know there will be no interest penalty and can cut a better deal. I always order my trucks and pay dealer invoice for them. In '97 I actually paid $300 under invoice due to a promotion.

Ford pays the dealers a kickback for moving the vehicles quickly, this is where their profit comes from.

16. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Oh, I see what you are saying Pelican. My way of thinking was you cant order something just how you want AND tell them what you plan on paying for it. I figured if it was gonna be a custom order just for you, there would be less dealing with the price. If there was one sitting on the lot, and it has a sticker price of 30k, you can atleast have something to work from., in other words, offer 25k and see what he says, and go from there. I would think it would be harder to lowball them on a truck they dont even have on the lot, that they have to get special for you. I guess my way of thinking is wrong, but it does make some sense. :drinkup: Mike

17. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I don't remeber what the sticker was on the 99. I actually went to the dealership with my father because he was going to order his truck, a 00 F-350 CC, dually, 4X4 PSD auto, Waldoch conversion. And the salesperson said that they had a 99 that they waould give an awsome deal on. So we looked at it and she said that the only reason that it was still on the lot is because it was a 6 spd, and my father wasn't interested in it either because of this. But I was, so we worked out a deal since that had it sitting on the lot for more that a year and also since my father was about to blow $40,000+ on a truck. The 03 was kinda the same thing, about 15-20 7.3L PSD's that weren't selling because everyone wanted the new 6.0L PSD. And to top it off a couple of the trucks were 6 spds. I came in without a trade paying cash and I remember right Ford just came out with the big rebates for the 7.3's that week also.