1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F550 Dump Gear Ratio

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tom Smith, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I wanted to see if anyone can help me with a question on a truck i plan to order. The truck will be a F-550 Supercan, 6.0 Diesel, w/ a 9' Dump Box. For the gear ratio do i want a 4.3LS or the 4.88LS... Would there be a big difference between the two... This truck will be driven as a daily driver and will haul mulch and lighter loads usually. I dont want it to gear it too low so its real slow! Any input?
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Limited slip diff 430s is fine
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I believe my dad has 513's in his 2000 7.3 IIRC? It needs em towing, with the box on the back and the transfer tank, its kinda gutless. Aint bad unloaded. 6.0 is a different animal. Remeber you are running larger diameter tires than a regular PU truck. As long as you wont be doing a bunch of higher speed driving I would opt for the deeper gears. Are you going to tow much with it? If its really not going to be havily loaded it wont be too bad with the higher(lower #) gears. Try test driving a couple though? RPM difference wont be that huge.