1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F550 Best Traction?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by YakimaStilley, Oct 18, 2014.

1. YakimaStilley

YakimaStilley Junior Member

I purchase a 2002 4X4 F550 and put a Blizzard 8611pp on it. Currently all 6 tires are traction tires in decent shape. In the past I've plowed with a '76 Wagoneer with studs and a '99 srw k3500 4X4 with studs.

My questions are, do I need studs? Should I use chains? Will I be ok just with good traction tires and weight?

95% or so of my lots are flat parking lots. One has a pretty steep hill but I start at the top and push down to the bottom. I am also going to take on more long gravel driveways this winter.

Any input is appreciated!

2. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

any type of ballast is recommended , especially for traction pushing heavy deep snow. that truck is a beast .diesel?

3. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Have several f450 4x4 trucks all with stock tires. Never had a problem even without weight. You'll love the way they push snow. So much better than your standard 3/4 or one ton...

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Good winter tires and ballast should get you through just about anything. You can carry a set of chains just in case.

5. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

Fact. identical trucks side by side , pushing heavy wet , will have BETTER traction and push more and stack higher. not rocket science here .Thumbs Up

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Is it a dump or flat bed?

7. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

check this out . called a 554 mod.

F554promo_08.jpg

8. Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost Senior Member
    from Montana

we have 4 , 5500 dodge trucks flatbed and all have 300 gal mag tank on back with 9.2 v boss ,,, no prob at all laoded ,, and very lil prob unloaded ,,,,, love them all

9. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You don't need studs. If it has a dump bed, put a sander in it or carry a half cord of firewood. Mine had a 12 foot home made dump, very heavy. It would push a D6 around. In fact, be careful you don't break something pushing with zeal.

10. Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost Senior Member
    from Montana

I think the 554 is cool have contact details ,?, would be nice to know more

11. YakimaStilley

Mine is a flatbed. I do like the 554 conversion.

12. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

looking to pull the trigger on this . im not in favor of it , but partner is . its overkill and extremely overpriced . i told him lets get a stock one and mod (violate) it ourselves . but dealer wont honor my body mods , they need to title it as a ford product . it is different to say the least .

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  13. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

true.. but because they can hold so much in back, load it up... you'll never need 4wd and can move mountains of heavy snow. its best to use a 9 foot area size plow though because of the rear tire width and most frames being longer than your average smaller pickup truck.

14. YakimaStilley

Guys this is great info. I really appreciate it.

~Ramairfreak98ss-I have a Blizzard 8611PP that goes from 8'6"-11' and 10'7" in scoop so I should be good. Thanks.

15. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

We have a 550 dump w/ wide out, no ballast and absolutely no problem. Stock tires

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

thoes wheel flares are fuggglllleeeyyyyy

17. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

well farmer , i think they're sexy but not the price

18. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

the name of this thread is " F550 B E S T TRACTION "

and you ONLY get best traction WITH ballast . again , side by side , the one loaded in deep wet , will have less strain and more momentum, therefore resulting in "best traction " LOL

19. YakimaStilley

Yes, the name of this thread is "F550 BEST TRACTION", but the secondary questions within in the thread that I asked are about whether or not I need studs or chains, or if I could get by with just the stock all seasons. So, all of this info is very helpful...

All of the info is very helpful and I am glad I asked. I really didn't want to spend money on studs, though I do think I will carry a set of chains just in case...

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What does this mean?

If the trucks are identical, what makes one better at pushing and stacking?

I'm assuming you left part of the equation out?