1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F550 9' or 10'

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Rockvalley rob, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Rockvalley rob

Rockvalley rob Junior Member

May be purchasing a V-10 F550 this year and was wondering if it will handle a 10' plow well or should I stick with a 9'?? Is anybody running one with the V-10 and how do these trucks hold up to plowing and salting? Thanks for any input you can give.

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

It can hold a 10' Boss HD or a 9' Fisher MC as recommended choices, I've seen them with 10' Fishers however. Or a 9'6'' V, yada yada yada

3. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Granted, my 550's are diesels, but they all have 11' on them.

But then so do my 350's.

Go with a 10'.

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

an F350 with an 11 foot plow? who makes the plow? lets see a pic.

5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Will the truck be used primarily by owner or employee? What type of plowing would it be used for? Sander on it too?

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

.......8611 is my guess

Hell I run a 10'6 on a little 250.

7. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 9 ft on my 2wd F350 drw and found problems when Plowing and turning. Added wings so its almost 11ft wide now.

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

maybe it is an expandable or V plow. getting from site to site with an 11 foot straight blade on an F350 would be challenge, not to mention illegal in my area.

9. Rockvalley rob

Rockvalley rob Junior Member

It will be a 4x4 and also used for salting, 9 ft. dump bed. Will be used on a college campus roads and in parking lots. Employee driven, but by someone who is driving a larger dump truck now, we are downsizing to this size truck. We still have one large dump truck we are keeping. Thanks for all the info, sounds like it should handle a 10 ft. without problems. What are good 10 ft. plows for these trucks?

10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

In that application where the plow will be on the ground moving snow most of the time that the truck is moving (in other words not a lot of transport time) I think you should be fine with a 10ft MC. I would go with that or with a plow like an Everest or Tenco. Both make plows for 550s that are made for doing roads.

11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

LOL, not a standard 8611, but an 8611 LP.

12. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

10 FT. MC is too much plow for that truck. IMHDAO

13. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

A Boss 10' is about 1300 pounds I believe, and a recommended choice. Fisher 10' is something like 1500 pounds.