1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F450 Starter wiring

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by UHLGS, Jul 13, 2003.

1. UHLGS

UHLGS Junior Member

We have a newly acquired 1994 Super duty 7.3 diesel. The starter bendix stuck in the on position; resulting in one fried starter, a number of wires whose location/position nobody can remember, and a new starter that no one is willing to connect for fear of repeating the problem. I know it sounds simple, or beyond, but does anyone have a wiring diagram available. Thanks any help would be greatlu appreciated.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

How many wires do you have ? There should be just two at the starter,one is the big battery cable and the other is the start feed from the ignition switch.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have not looked recently but I thought that 7.3s had a solenoid on the firewall for the starter. Replaced one on a 350 couple years ago.
  4. UHLGS

UHLGS Junior Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The problem turned out to be one of those mechanic things; the ignition feed wire from the starter to the solenoid was mistakenly put on the same post as the positive wire from the battery. Instant starter on; all the time. When the problem first arose, the solenoid was replaced but improperly wired. Thanks again for the time.