1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F450 front axle, weak?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PHS79, Jul 13, 2014.

1. PHS79

PHS79 Member

A few weeks ago I started full time with the public works department for the town that I live in. I was given the truck that I will be driving, its a 1999 F450 4X4 7.3L/auto, 80,000 miles, 9' Hiniker plow, 10' dump with slide in sander.

Last week when I was walking out to the truck I noticed that the top of the passenger side front wheel was leaning inward. I told the streets superintendent about it, he just said ok and then went on about how much of a POS that truck has been and how the have to get the frontend rebuilt every 2 years.

Is the front end under the 99 F450 that big of a POS or is the shop that does all the work for the village putting in bad parts?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

anyone putting greaseable ball joints, if so, does anyone grease them?

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Every 2 years really isn't that bad for a truck with 7.3 and a 9' foot plow, not to mention the added weight of the salter. Now think about how many miles that truck has plowed each season.

I finally did ball joints on mu f350 at 196k but I don't put near the miles on plowing that a township truck would have.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Has it ever had a proper alignment done? They could have bad or worn steering knuckles.

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

that is about rite for cheap ball joints that never get greased.

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

If this is leaning. And it's a 99. Id bet it has a cracked or worn leaf

Ball joints aren't going to make it lean

7. dieselss

Really. Bad ball joints won't cause play and lack of a tight fit

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Not enough to make it the whole truck lean to the side

9. 1olddogtwo

He never said that, he clearly says the top of tire.

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

"Cleary" is subjective on a tiny iphone screen after a few beers.

11. 1olddogtwo

Haha.... I hear that!

12. dieselss

Clearly read the center on the print then. Or. Read throught the empty glass,,,it magnifys everything and slows down the lines from moving. Bahabaha

13. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

That actually works...lol

This is good beer though Stella cidre.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go bankrupt if I was rebuilding front ends every 2 years.

My '99 is a 550 and 2WD, so I can't help much.

However, I have an '00 F350 through '05 F550 with several in between and they all have plows that are heavier than a 9' and I don't have that problem. So no, they are not weak, although they do have some issues. But not every 2 years issues.

15. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I think the Owner is the main issue..........:nod:......One Question??...Do all of your trucks have gun racks in the back window.....:waving:

I have an 08 F250 that i finally had to do some front end work to.....Running around with 1000# plows on the front I think 6 years is pretty good that there has been no issues to this point

16. 1olddogtwo

I'm lucky if mine last to 45k.......I wouldn't know how to act if they got more

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  17. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

The 08 has 71000 miles on it......I cant complain....Its been rode hard and put away wet.....:drinkup:

18. 1olddogtwo

Mine go bye bye at 40k. On my on 11th or 12th SD since 99. Current one bought around mothers day.....got 8500, 9k tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  19. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I change the dodge out every other year.

20. PHS79

PHS79 Member

Thanks for the replys guys!

I was planning on pulling the truck into the shop and taking a look at it this afternoon, but that never ended up happening. Me and the streets superintendent were on our way to lunch when all of a sudden his 2013 GMC 3500 Duramax, with 4900 miles on it, just out of the blue dies. We coast to the side of the road and the truck won't even crank over, so the dealership sent a rollback and a mechanic, the mech said he has never seen this happen before. So now the GMC is at the dealership getting fixed and the "super" is driving my truck, the trusty old 7.3L. But the bad thing is that now I don't have a work truck for a while...