1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F450 brakes locked up?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by deicepro, Oct 3, 2010.

1. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I did search but I thought I would get a fresh take as my problem is a tad different.
    But.... all 4 calipers are locked up on my F450. Has any body had this problem?
    Is it the slide pins like I have read about? or could it be the master cylinder? Any help would be great?

2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Did they all lock up at the same time, or gradually one by one. Lubing the slide pins would not hurt as it is very easy to do as well as very inexpensive to do.

3. nycpsd

nycpsd Junior Member
    from nyc/pa

Was the truck sitting or was it used everyday

4. deicepro

It sits 3 months at a time

5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Slide pins first. Just jack the truck up, remove the wheels, pull the slide bolts and lube away. Might be your problem right there.

6. deicepro

sounds like a common thing on fords, never had it happen before though

7. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

If the the slides are not frozen, ck to make sure the brake pads them self are not rusted to the mount. I would remove the calipars and brake pads and lube everthing. I doubt the calipars are frozen. I see this on alot of plow vehicles that sit all summer. Slides freeze up all the time. Cars and trucks

8. deicepro

Just wanted to update in case anyone else has the same problem.......
    Even though all 4 calipers and pads were frozen, it actually was the master cylinder that was malfunctioning and not relaesing the brakes.......

9. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I for one would have never guessed that. We've got an F-550 dump body with a Smith Salter in it (for the winter) that gets used year round. The truck has less than 20,000 miles on it and has been through several complete sets of rear brakes - the first while still under warranty. I'm not at all impressed with the brakes. None of our F-350's have this issue.

Just out of curiosity, what did you do the the master cylinder to free things up and then fix it?