1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350w/7.3 sfront spring upgrade

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by boba, Nov 14, 2000.

1. boba

boba Senior Member

Recently I saw a post that someone had beefed up their F350 w/7.3 with 550? springs. Is this really needed? I know the 96-97's w/7.3 had a factory upgrade kit available. Is this still a problem with the new SD's?

[Edited by boba on 11-14-2000 at 06:50 PM]
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

Im really not sure, I run a 8foot Diamond myself and front end barey moves. I wouldnt ever need a kit for front, It would take a 10footer to squat my front down I suppose if you run a wing you might need it but even then the Town trucks all around here have them with no modification to front.
  3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I dont know what good it will do, from what I can see both the 350 and 550 have 5200 lb front springs.
  4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

According to Ford's upfitters book, the F 550 uses a 5600 or 6000 lbs front springs. Its ok page 56 or so.

So yes F 550 springs would help, but are not needed. I have some F 350s with PSD, and no extra springs required IMO.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

All the 350's around here dont even move an inch with a big 8 or 9 fter mounted and raised.
  6. mikeslawncare

mikeslawncare Junior Member

F-350 heavy duty springs

I just installed 3460 lb. per side springs on my 97 F-350 powerstroke dump. With my v-box loaded and 8' Meyer poly hanging on the front, the stock springs were barely adequate. Since I just installed a 9.5' Fisher v-plow I knew the stockers wouldn't be enough ( please no flames, the new F-550's use the same Dana 60 axle as my F-350.) I went to my local spring shop and ordered them for $280.00 including new u-bolts. Installed them myself in less than an hour. Ride height remained nearly the same as the new springs have less arch than stock. Front end only drops about 1/2 inch raising 1050 lb. plow!