1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by newkidonthebloc, Dec 10, 2003.

1. newkidonthebloc

newkidonthebloc Junior Member

Is anyone using an F350 gas? If so - how do you like it? Enough power to get the job done?

2. J.P. Riker

J.P. Riker Junior Member

Got Diesel

Ran this last storm with F-350 Dump 6.0 diesel.

No problem pushing 12' uphill in some tough driveways.

Runs sweet!

3. Greensway

Greensway Member

F 350 GAS.

I have a 350 w/ v-10, GAS plenty of juice to tow 10k fifth wheel camper through the mountains this summer.
    Have not plowed yet - believe it will be more than adequate.

4. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

i just got a powerstroke but do have some 97 ford gassers.the 351 is a strong motor and plows just fine with an 8 footer and a sander in back.

5. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

We have a v-10 and it has plenty of power. Great truck if you dont mind the bad mpg.

6. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

How can u all afford to plow with a gas truck? I would think that would make you broke...... Deisel is the way to go

7. Greensway

Greensway Member

Afford?
    There is not much difference between a night of plowing fuel cost.
    If it will make or break you, then we have just found one of those "lowballers";)

8. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

have a 2002 f350 witha fisher mm2 8'er ran mint last storm. plowed for 36 hours. used 2 tanks of gas but made much more than that......

9. newkidonthebloc

newkidonthebloc Junior Member

The post about "affording of the gas" is quite disconcerting....the way I look at it - fuel costs are a factor that you would be figuring into your prices anyway.......Sure to God nobody out here would be plowing just to cover fuel costs??? Maybe I'm missing something.....but when I price a job - I do it to make money not just break even.

10. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I meant to say that over time.... plowing and general driving.... u save alot... sorry i misspoke

11. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Tom Smith; ssssssssssshhhhhhhhh. we are making more profits than the gassers do for the same bid$.

12. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

Yea your right.... Better keep my business secrets to myself.....

13. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Tom,
    I still have the 5 grand that I saved from not buying the diesel
    and that will buy allot,allot of gas.

14. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

I use a 95 F350 with 460/auto/4wd and have a Boss V blade. It works very well, my only limitation is traction. As long as I have grip, it will push a mountain of snow. I chain up on some of the steep long driveways I plow, but otherwise it works good.

15. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

You may be 5 grand ahead when you buy the truck, but when someone sells thier diesel and get that 5 grand back plus all the money that they saved by getting almost twice the mileage and the fact that gas here is at $1.59 and diesel is at $1.48. I think that I will keep plowing with my diesel and let my gasser sit until I need it. But don't get me wrong, I have a gasser and it was great to plow with, but now that I have got my diesels there is no going back.:D :D

But to answer the original question, most gassers will have enough power to to push snow. I know of guys that plow with 4cyl Jeeps with 6.5' blades all the way up to my 97 with a 460 that has 450+hp. The original truck that I started plowing with was a 92 F-150 with a 300-6/ 5spd combo and a 7.5 footer hanging of the front. The truck had enough power to push the snow, but just not enough to push a foot of snow with the sander in the back, that is the reason that I got my 97.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  16. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

No need to respond.... Team Yahama.. said it all... No question that i will get the 5 grand back included in resale

Nice to have all that deisel torque too !

17. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have a sub with an 03 F 350 and the 5.4 gas engine. Plenty of power for plowing. I dont see the need for another gas vs diesel war thread tho. Just answer the persons question and leave it at that.
    Dino

18. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

I have a F250 5.4 gas, no problems here, plents of uhmmp! To run an 8 Footer.
    I find the pedal is a little touchy to plow with compared to a diesel, but you get used to it in a hurry :)