1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 Tire Size And Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Allagash, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I know I'm beating a dead horse here by talking tire size and brand type but here goes. I'm thinking of putting BFG Radial All Terrain K/O's size 285/75/16 on my truck. It's a larger size than what came stock. Does anyone here plow with this size on their F350 Crew Cab? The tires I'm looking at have a "D" load rating. I've always heard that a narrower tire works better than a wide tire in the snow and I'm concerned that this tire being larger may not work as well.

I know this is a plow site and not a tow site but, I also tow a 6,600lb gooseneck with this truck with 4800lbs on the trailer on a consistent basis. Do you guys think running this larger tire on my truck will cause premature wearing? Also, is a "D" load rating acceptable for this amount of weight?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The wider tires will "work" just not as well. They'll have more of a tendency to ride up on the snow rather than bite into it. As far as handling the weight of the goose neck - the weight of the trailer and its cargo is on the trailer tires. So you're fine with the "D" rated tires on the truck. Actually as far as wearing out, you'll be better off with the wider tires for pulling the trailer because the force applied to the tires will be spread over a bigger area. But again, if you're on snow there'll be more tendency to ride up on the snow resulting in poorer traction.

3. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

You should stick with the original. If you had 23585r16 you have to go with 26575r16 to keep height.