1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 Suspension/Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mullis56, Dec 25, 2008.

1. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

What can I do to F350 to let it carry the weight that an F550 would? Thanks

2. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

First you need to make sure that the axles will hold that much and it needs to be a dully, then either you can add air bags or rebuild the leaf springs. do a search for Michigan Wisconsin spring and they will help you with what you need.

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

our 550 has a bigger real axle than our 350's...need to change over to 19.5's too

4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Like bula eluded to the whole suspension package must be upgraded. GVWR has a lot more to it than just adding heavier springs. In short you will need a F550 frame, axles, springs, brakes, and wheels/tires. This is of course if you want to carry that kind of weight legally and with any sort to safety and reliability. Even if you did do all those mods the factory GVWR still remains the same unless it is re-certified by a special shop with the proper credentials.

5. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

buy a 550 cause not matter what at the end of the day ur truck will still be a 350

6. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

You need to put X Code sprints on it. Here is the part numbers you need.

(2) 2C3Z-5310-AF Springs

(4) F81Z-5705-ZA U-Bolts

(8) N805480-S426 Nut

These are the springs which come with the snowplow prep package. They are 6,000 lb springs. I am told they are the same as on a F-550. I just put these on my 2002 and what a difference. True it will not make it a F-550 but is the best you are going to do for under $500. That is if you install yourself. I did mine and it was not to hard. I got mine at powerstrokeshop.com for under $400 for everything. Then add some Timbrens. I have a set waiting for time to install.

7. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

x-code springs are the same as F450 springs.

8. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

X code would be for the front leaf spings for trucks built before the 2005 model year.

This is a very vague thread. Don't know if he's looking for front and rear or one or the other. Either case it will still be an F350 just like 02powerstroke said.

Just my .02¢

9. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I'm pretty sure that's whats on my 02 F-550 as well.
    Also on the snow plow package trucks as mentioned.

05+ 450/550s get the 6500-7000lb coils up front.

10. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Just trying to make the 350 as safe as possible and more like a 550. I know it won't be a 550 just trying to make it as safe as possible.

11. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

What year F-350?

12. country_boy

country_boy Junior Member

i put air bags in the rear of my 350 dually, i can carry 3500lbs more at 100psi in the bags. i am installing them in the front this weekend as well

13. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

F350's are a vary safe truck as long as you don't overload it. If your trying to help the suspension work better air bags are a good choice but do require some labor to install. We put add a leafs or helper springs on our trucks to help the suspension work better. Trying to beef up a truck to much can make it more unsafe. My suggestion go to stengelbros.com contact them tell them what your looking to do and they will help you out. We don't trust anyone else.

14. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

wanting to know how many yard spreader to put on it? safely haul loaded? thanks!

15. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

That's a loaded question.....safely would be no more then the GVW of the vehicle.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  16. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

That's a loaded question......safely would be no more then the GVW of the vehicle.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  17. fci

fci Senior Member

I use helwig 3500 a on springs from summit . I put 4500 pounds in my F-350 and it hardly squats at all

18. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

Standard 8' spreader about 2 yds. That's all the weight you want.

450 and 550 both have 6000 pound front axles, so should have same springs.

I would just add some Timbrens to carry the extra weight, but the air bags or add a leafs are other options.

There are guys that do brake upgrades too. That is one of the factors limiting the weight you can haul.