1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 rear strobes & LED cargo light VIDEO

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by grec-o-face, Nov 5, 2009.

1. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

Here's a quick video clip of my rear 4-head unit and some custom wiring to my LED 3rd brake/cargo light. The brake/cargo works normally when the strobes are OFF. I ran everything through relays so the alternating flash takes over when the rear strobes are turned ON.

Tell me what you think.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/grecoface/Car%20Pics/F350rear.flv">
    <embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/grecoface/Car%20Pics/F350rearstrobe.flv">

Oh, and here are the fronts (also a 4-head) clear/amber. It's tough to see everything (through the camera) with the 6000K HIDs running. It's much better in person...
    <embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/grecoface/Car%20Pics/F350frontstrobe.flv">

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

hot damn!!!! this is what i like to see.....

more info on the cargo please......very nice....looks great...

all done by you?

3. grec-o-face

yes.... all done by me.
    It's an off the shelf LED cargo unit. I cut the wires and ran the power's - cargo and brake - through relays to allow them to function normally when the relays are not energized. When i turn the strobes on, it energizes the relays, and powers a flasher unit, that alternates. The flasher unit was an off the shelf unit also - but it had a very slow rate of flash.... Soooo, I opened it up, and replaced the resistor with a smaller one to speed up the flash rate.

Thanks!!!
    I think I'm gonna get crazy with some front stuff soon too. I just don't know what yet. I like the clearance light idea... hmmmm.

4. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

I like the cargo light setup as well.....Very nice job..

5. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

I think i wanna pay for your trip down here to rig a few 2008 f350 crew cabs i got that need lit up

6. grec-o-face

sure thing, but I only fly 1st class.... sorry man.
    Thanks for the kind words!!:cool:

7. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

AT THIS POINT i MIGHT EVEN SEND A CAR FOR YOU SINCE HAVENT FOUND TOP SHELF INSTALLERS AROUND HERE

8. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

looks awsome. really clean. i like how you used the relays

9. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

is that a Recon third brake light? If so could you shoot me a PM or on here how you get them to flash like that? I have Recon tail lights, third brake lights and mirror lights, and I want to add more rear warning and think that would be perfect to do it that way! awesome set up!

10. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Thats really cool with the cargo light.

11. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

That is sweeeeet. $$$$$$ waiting send me one.

12. grec-o-face

There have been a lot of questions about the cargo light - I'm currently working on a more "user friendly" set-up.
    Some of the issues I'm trying to remedy are;
    the amount of wires required to do this.
    Currently it's a fixed rate of alternating flash - I have a design in the works that will allow for adjustable flash speeds.
    And finally, I may also be working on a set-up that allows an alternating flash from left to right, or right to left.... or whatever.
    I'll keep you guys up to date.

I'm glad the cargo is a hit!!
    Oh,
    Nevrnf are you a member on ModularFords.com???

13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

if you buy the light ill wire one up for ya. As a payback, make sure you buy me a light too :drinkup:

14. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I am not. I have not been on any car forums in a couple of years. I kind of lost interest and i just puts around with mine as a cruiser.
    What brand of light did you use? Is it a Recon or a E bay special?

When do you want to start Doug.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  15. FD39901

FD39901 Junior Member

Topdog email me I am in Southern Maryland and can probaly help you out.

16. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i'd be using a sho-me flasher with ramdom patterns and it woudl be a 2 wire install.

diodes are your best friend....

woudl also be overridden with brake application for the 3rd light.....

thanks for the idea man......that and th other guy who put leds in his chevy cab lights are killer ideas...

17. grec-o-face

I like that idea. If you use high-current diodes, it should be fine. I really like the ranndom flasher idea. What part would you use? PICS!?!?!!!:cool:

18. grec-o-face

This is how I wired my cargo set-up. It looks complicated, but it's really not bad. I did it this way, to keep all the STOCK functions working properly when the strobes are OFF.

Red is the switch-leg
    Black is ground
    Orange is cargo
    Green is Brake
    I double taped the relays/flasher to the body, behind the cargo light assy.

[​IMG]

19. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

HMMMMM........ just gave me an idea that i could use on my truck .... for the flasher idea .... thanks and BTW good job on the truck

20. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

fancy! how hard would it be to do something similar with cab-lights? i recently replaced all my cab lights with leds and they're pretty bright now and I think I could make an arrow-stick of sorts out of it. It obviously won't put out nearly as much light as my justice bar, but it'd be another cool trick