1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 PSD 7.3 Power Chip

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by rgreenland, Sep 16, 2004.

1. rgreenland

rgreenland Junior Member

I just bought a 97 F350. The owner (a friend) says that it has a "Power Chip" that he had the dealer install.
    First - what will this do?
    Second - If this adds more power, I don't think I will need it unless I am pulling my trailer.....which only happens a few times a year. Is there a way to turn the power chip on or off by installing some kind of switch? Will I get better gas mileage by turning the chip off? I was also told that from the second he had the chip installed it began shifting a little harder in 1st & 2nd gear....will this stop if the chip is turned off?

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

You have to remove the chip from the computer, located near the E brake to turn it "off". Yes the firmer shifts will go away when its removed and so might some fuel mileage as well.
  3. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

Leave the chip in the truck for one the gas milege usually wont change depending on how you drive your truck. Also as soon as you take the chip out youll be disappointed and want to put it back in. I run a super chip and love it, it firms the ship points up and has unbelievable power for plowing. I would just leave it the way it is.
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I"ve got the Banks chip, intake, intercooler, 5 in. exhaust, and trans. command. Plenty of power! :nod:
  5. DJC

DJC Senior Member

just what you say....... Fuel milage may even be a little better and lot's more power. For some reason the batteries go dead you will have to reset it. Or that's what happened with ours.
  6. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

never had the batt. go dead so i couldn't tell ya.
  7. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I have both of my 99 and 03 7.3L chipped. I run TS Performance chips in both of my trucks. I love them, Dennis Perry the owner of TS is a master of chips. My mileage went up about 2-3 mpg with the chip installed. My 99 has a 75 hp chip, 4" down pipe into 5" the rest of the way back, and a AIRRAD intake, 327hp/701 lb ft of torque at the rear wheels. My 03 has a 4 position chip (stock/50/90/135+), 4" turbo back exhaust, "Mini-Mee" injectors, custom intake, propane injection, and fuel system mods, the last time that I had it at the dyno it was putting out 472hp/823 lbft at the rear wheels. Just leave the chip in an have fun!!