1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Frycztech, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Frycztech

Frycztech Junior Member
    from conn

I have a 99 F350 5.4L
    It starts and runs good but when im driving and I let off the gas to cruise the truck surges between 1000 to 1500 rpms. when I give it gas its fine. Anyone have any clues?

2. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Strange, bad throttle sensor?

3. Frycztech

Frycztech Junior Member
    from conn

Not sure there is no CEL or any codes im not sure where to start. Is there a way to test the tps?

4. unhcp

not really, it could be a list of things

egr valve
    bad coils
    clogged fuel filter

5. Frycztech

Frycztech Junior Member
    from conn

Ok I guess ill start with the pcv and fuel filter and see if that helps at all. Wouldn't a coil throw a code?

6. unhcp

funny story, I have had a lot of coils go bad in my past fords and actually I have never had them through a code. It could be a coil, does the truck buck at all?

7. Frycztech

Frycztech Junior Member
    from conn

Nope no bucking at all. It plows fine I just notice in when i let off the gas to coast it surges up and down until I give it gas.

8. unhcp

Ok, probably not a coil, usually the truck will buck a little or shutter

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you can, you need a ohm volt meter. Turn the truck "On" not Run. Ground the volt meter and probe the signal wire. Turn the butterfly shaft gradually to wide open and watch to see if the volts climb smooth to 5 volts. If it jumps around then your TPS is bad.