1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 Power steering problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by gkaneii, Nov 10, 2011.

1. gkaneii

gkaneii Junior Member

I have a 99 F350 with 7.3 and I am have power steering problems when not under power. I have found out they they are notorius for lack of vaccum. Does anyone have a fix for this issue?

2. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Where in wisconsin are you? Is it just hard to turn at slow speeds? If so next time rev the engine up a bit and see if it is easier to turn. They dont use vaccum for power steering.

3. gkaneii

gkaneii Junior Member

Roberts, WI.....The steering is ok under power but yes at slow speed especially when on the brakes it get bad and if at stand still there is now power assist at all.

4. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Most likely your powersteering pump is junk. If you rev it up a bit and assist is better then id slap a pump on it. I imagine the brake pedal gets hard as well? If so then definitly suspect the pump. Your quite aways away from me, if you were closer I'd be glad to help solve your problem. Did you get much snow yesterday?

5. gkaneii

gkaneii Junior Member

ya the pump does get hard. Thanks for the info! We only go a dusting here but about 50 miles east got around 8 inches.

6. wewille

wewille Senior Member

I would then recommend the pump. It should solve your problem. Yea we just got a dusting as well, some stuck in the grass, and alot of slush on the roads, we are in Oregon, so few hours south of you. The snow must have slipped in between us!

7. morecoffee

morecoffee Junior Member
    from Ohio

You could try sucking our or draining our as much of the old ps fluid and possible and replace it with new fluid. I think that will improve it, unless you have already tried this. It may not be a complete fix though.

8. dana60f250

dana60f250 Member

I just replaced my pump wow what a differnce. like brand new