1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 or F550

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by boba, Sep 27, 2005.

1. boba

boba Senior Member

I plan on trading in my 2003 F350 6.0. I'm not sure about replacing it with another 350 or should I go to a 550. I plow mostly second home driveways using a 9.6 fisher ezv plow and a 1.5 yard sandrer. My other main use is to tow a tag along trailer hauling a New Holland TN 70 tractor with a Brown 6' rotary cutter.

Any suggestion? Thanks
  2. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Is the truck a dump truck? and what color is it? any interest in selling it privatly?
  3. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I always had the thought that if I could afford bigger I'd go bigger. I'd definetly like one of those f-550's with the crewcab and a regular truck bed except with the "cabinets" int he sides
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go with the 550. Never a problem underloading something, but the DOT frowns on overloading. ;)
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I would definately advise getting a 550. It still doesn't require a CDL and its potential uses and capacity are much greater then a 350. I know with my 3500; when I put on a 9' plow and loaded 2 yd sander, I'm really close to the limit if not over. You'll especially be glad you did if you ever want to upgrade that sander.
  6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

If its a dump truck go F-550. My F-350 isn't big enough. I can only put 2.5 tons in it. (damn central hydraulics, ex cab and heavy duty dump bed kill my load capacity)

A F-450 has 2500lb more weight capacity than a F-350
    A F-550 has 5000lb more weight capacity than a F-350
  7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I just bought a 2005 F-550 Today. I got a sick deal on it....brand new, automatic, 4x4, 6.0L Diesel.
  8. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

How sick is sick?
  9. Mark Oomkes

I think that's the new term for awesome. Why I don't know. :confused:
  10. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Here's my two cents...

BIGGER is always BETTER! :drinkup:
  11. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Do you need more GVW capacity than you currently have? The 550's are nice but if you don't really need the extra GVW's you will save on a number of things, purchase $, registration & insurance $, Tire $ (the low profile tires on the F550 are almost twice the cost of the ones on the F350) not to mention that the low-pro tire in the 4&550's get a lot less traction in snow & ice conditions than the tires on the f350.

Moral of the story, get it if you need it, but don't get it if you want it just to have it. Just my 2 cents worth speaking from the point of view of owning and using both. :)
  12. Big Dog D

Maybe in your wifes eyes, but not always with trucks & equipment. :D
  13. lumps

lumps Senior Member

that seems small for a 550... i would think they'd put a bigger diesel in it.
  14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats what I was thinking too. Do they make a bigger diesel for that truck?
  15. Big Dog D

Nope! They had a 7.3L before(3yrs+/-) then went to the 6.0 that has more Tourque & H.P. It is more than enough for that truck, they offer the 6.0 in the 650 & 750's too. I got two of them now and love em.
  16. Mark Oomkes

Where have you been? Ford changed over to the 6.0 back in the late run '03s. Did you know that the Cummins is only a 6 cylinder?

I have 2 550's and 3 350's. I believe if you are putting a dump bed on it or a salt spreader, the 550 is going to be the better value in the long run. Even with the added expense of tires and registration. I'm not so sure a 350 C&C is going to be that much less expensive than a 550 C&C.

I would also debate the traction issue. Not sure which tire Ford puts on the 350 dually's, but the Conti's on my 350 are going to have a hard time making it through a heavy frost, much less snow. The added weight you can carry on a 550 will make up for any traction deficiency.
  17. Big Dog D

It doesn't, I currently own 3 55's and all three get much less traction on hardpack snow and ice compared to the 350's. Driving from site to site and most plowing op's no problem. Where you really notice it is on hills and inclines with a layer of hardpack etc........

I'm obviously not against the 550's but from the info he provided the 350 will be just fine. There's nothing gained by talking somebody into something they don't need over Tim the Toolman Taylor type rationale. :drinkup:
  18. lumps

lumps Senior Member

i've been kind of out of things truck related the past few years. and yeah, i know the cummins is a 6 cyl. with diesels, if i remember correctly, it's more about displacement than number of cylinders. most tractor trailers on the road are either 4 or 6 cylinder.
  19. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

My Cat 6 cyl pulled 77,000lbs...

You have that right,My 3406 cat pulled my 77,000 lb triaxle just fine(Only 6 Cyl).