1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f350 locking hubs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Morrissey snow removal, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

2003 f350 locking hubs the hubs i have are auto and lock can i swapp them out with regular lock or unlock hubs thanks

2. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Yes they should swap right out just make sure that you seal the vacuum lines when you take them off.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Check the Internet for manual hubs. You may find them much cheaper. Go WARN all the way. Summitracing.com has all kinds of stuff for trucks.

4. Morrissey snow removal

i have several good sets of warn but they where not auto i just wanted to make sure they would work

5. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

manual never fails go with them!

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

there are two different sets of warn hubs for the fords. manual replacement, and manual replacement for ESOF trucks. just make sure you get the ones foe the ESOF truck.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

maybe a little explaination??

8. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Electronic Shift On the Fly.

He maybe right, I was not aware of the difference, but I have replaced several of the "auto" vacuum hubs with manuals once they fail. It isn't worth the money for me to replace all the crap that goes bad once they do. It comes out to less than half the cost for manuals.

9. Morrissey snow removal

so they have to be autom looking hubs i put in?

10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

No, AFAIK, plain ole manual hubs work. They did in at least one of mine, and it had ESOF. My current ride I am just locking the OEM's manually for winter, unlock for summer. They are still functioning, just not automatically. The other truck wasn't working manually or automatically.

11. dieselss

See what got me was what transport said. Go with the esof hubs. Well if the factory ones are shot then you could get either ones depending upon what u wanted to do. Lock manually or automatics via the vacuum part

12. Morrissey snow removal

i just want to put on regular hubs lock or free

13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

The problem is that usually the vacuum seals and all that crap is bad too. So you end up replacing more than just the hubs.

If he gets just manual hubs, he won't ever be able to "shift on the fly" but he will be saving a crapload of money.

14. Morrissey snow removal

i dont want to be able to shift on the fly i will just get out and lock them before i shift it the work fine but none of my trucks have stock locking hubs i wazn to change them before they go bad

15. dieselss

Gotcha dfd9. That whole shift on fly stuff still gets me. Not 100% understanding the ins and outs of it

16. fordtruck661

from CT

I feel like everyone is getting confused here so let me try to clear it up.

To the OP just get the manual hubs not the ESOF ones that will just get you back to what you have right now.

ESOF = Electric Shift On The Fly (just turning the switch in the truck will lock the hubs you can do this when driving = "on the fly")

Manual = Having to get out of the truck and lock them by hand (obviously you have to lock the hubs when at a stop so its not "on the fly")

You can only switch from ESOF to manual hubs NOT from manual to ESOF hubs.

Hope that clears everything up

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  17. Morrissey snow removal

yes it does thank u

18. dieselss

So ford here's q? For u then. When I put my hubs in lock and while driveing dwn the road can I pull the 4x4 lever and it be the same thing?

19. fordtruck661

from CT

Yes you can lock your hubs and when you need 4WD you can just pull the lever. (It the closest thing you can get to "shift on the fly" with manual hubs) That is what I usually do when its snowing out.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  20. dieselss

Ok. I never really understood that. So the only difference is the vacuum hubs, and the electric motor. So that would be why you could go from manual to esof hubs b/c of the vacuum assm. Ok that makes coin