1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 Locking Hubs Squeeling?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MarshallGirvin, Jan 12, 2012.

1. MarshallGirvin

MarshallGirvin Junior Member

I've been noticing a noise coming from the front end of my truck(2001 F350 7.3). It only happens in 4 wheel drive, no matter if the hubs are locked or unlocked. I had someone else drive the truck back and forth so I could try to record a video of the noise. I did not hear the noise over the engine. A minute later I got in the truck and started plowing and heard it in the cab.

The noise is a high pitch squealing that only happens at low speeds. They also almost feel like they're "binding", but I'm not sure if that's just the 4 wheel drive or not.

Also, at high speeds, the hubs sound like they're grinding whenever I'm off the gas, A.K.A slowing down, doesn't matter if I'm coasting or braking.

So I guess I'm asking, is this just the hubs, or could something farther along in the 4 wheel drive be causing this? Thank you for any help, I just want to now before I go buying parts!

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I'd check the u-joints.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Had to replace mine last year. Check the front drive shaft to to see if the are rotted out too.

4. MarshallGirvin

I just looked at them, didn't really know what I was looking for my there isn't any play in them.
    I tried pulling the locking hubs out, but they were stuck and couldn't get them. Does the truck have to be in 2 wheel?

5. grandview

If they are locked that's why you feel that binding when you turn.

6. MarshallGirvin

Ok so that's normal. What about the grinding/binding while slowing down?

7. grandview

All depends how are the pads and rotors,old ?

8. MarshallGirvin

Did the brakes a few months ago. It's not them, it only happens when I'm in 4x4.

9. stoneexc2

stoneexc2 Member

my 00 250 had the cv joint in the front drive shaft go out and it did about the same thing

10. MarshallGirvin

how can I check this?

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

is it a rotational type squeak??? or a steady smooth squeak??
    how to ck ft driveshaft--------unbolt it from axle,move it in and out (the black part) if it dont move,,it needs lube.
    move the front u-joint around and see if it binds or is "clicking"-----bad

12. mikespenny

mikespenny Junior Member

13. MarshallGirvin

It's a steady smooth squeak at low speeds. I'm gonna jack my truck up this weekend and see what I can find.

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

there a bearing in the hub that is spinning wrong in the hub I done 5 of them 4 has been left side and other was the right side
    My first replacement went to long and I had to buy new hub spindle assembly
    So far the years I fix 99,01,02 all was F350

15. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

Could be the needle bearing on the back side of the spindle. Mine did that, made a nasty sound..low pitch grind. Take apart like you would to replace axle u joints..you will see the needle bearing on the axle side of spindle. Most neglected bearing on most trucks, (at least mine, that is)

16. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

It does sound like the stub shaft bearing in the wheel bearing assembly. Make sure to check the shaft as well.
    This is the bearing B2110 from Napa.

1316434.jpg

17. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

It is located in the wheel bearing assembly.

1259395.jpg

S1O~us~en~file=A0013439_gif~gen~ref.gif

18. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Glad you found a pic I went looking then got side track

19. MarshallGirvin

Pulled the left hub off today and found a lot of metal shavings. Cleaned it out but haven't tested it yet. I think it just something in the hub itself.

20. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

I would think that metal shavings are not a good thing and would dig a little deeper before you go out to plow and rely on the truck. JMO