1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 Gas Stalling

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mrfiestas, Feb 20, 2008.

1. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

I have a 96 F350 5.8L auto plow truck that ,not always but a lot of the time ,especially when cold , the engine will stall when shifted in reverse.Then I restart and its fine for a short while. Also, the check engine light is on most of the time now, but I think it can do it even when off. Doesnt ever do it when going into drive , just reverse. Very annoying. Any ideas anyone ?? thanks

2. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I had a similar problem with a chevy. It would stll out when you put power to any lights in the rear of the truck. Gradually got worse. Come to find out, it was the ground strap from the engine to the frame.
    Just a thought?

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Might clean all your ground wires and protect them with dielectric tuneup grease. Some part stores like AutoZone will scan your system for free if the check engine light is on.
    Could be an idle air control or a throttle position sensor or a loose wire or connection. The only in reverse is weird.