1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 Gas sounds like a diesel in the morning.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Richard123, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Richard123

Richard123 Member
    from CT

Just picked up a 2001 F350 w/66k on it and an 8ft Boss Plow. So far the truck seems ok but in the morning when cold, the truck sounds like a diesel. After 4 or 5 minutes of warm up it seems to go away. Also I seem to have a knock in the front end when braking or leting off the gas to come to a stop.

Any suggestions ??????
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds normal to me. I know of alot of people who had Ford gas motors in the newer trucks that made noise when cold! I can't for the life of me remember what the cause was anymore though
  3. richsoucie

richsoucie Member

my 06 does the same thing and after it warms up if you turn the radio off you can still hear it

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

My 04 5.4 gasser does it too
  5. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Richard123--these trucks are notorious for chewing up ball joints--also bushings in the front end! I would start thier. Also there have been quite a few posts on front end noise so you may want to do a search and save some time, best of luck!---As for the diesel noise mine doesn't go away when warm! Oh thats cause it is a diesel!
  6. tuna

tuna Senior Member

The older 5.4`s have a lot of piston slap when cold they quiet down as soon as they warm up.My `03 5.4 does not make noise cold.
  7. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

That Diesel Noise is just Nature's little way of letting you know that you should have gotten a diesel.

8. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

I always thought the noise was because the exhaust mainfold bolts always break
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Sounds like the GM piston slap my truck has, I've talked to friend that have dodges and they do it too, ALL 2005's with under 10,000miles. So I guess all of the big 3 do it, GM is just known for it.