1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f350 front end help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by VOGLERny, Jan 18, 2014.

1. VOGLERny

VOGLERny Member

I have a high pitch squeaking sound coming from the driver side front end of my 03 f350. Only time I notice it is when the hubs are locked and in 4 wheel. One of my hubs doesn't go all the way into the lock position. Could that be the source of the problem or is it a wheel bearing or possibly something else.. any help would be appreciated

2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I would say switch the hubs from side to side and see if the sound moves or stays the same and if it changes sides it is definitly the hub.....

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What do you mean the hub doesn't lock in all the way?

4. VOGLERny

VOGLERny Member

I cannot get it to turn into the locked position. It does move but doesn't click into place like the other

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Buy set of warn Lock outs and trash them Ford lock outs

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would start at the hubs as the first thing to replace

7. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Does the squeaking speed up and slow down with the truck ?

8. sameoldthang

sameoldthang Member

does the squeak stop in 2wd ?

9. VOGLERny

VOGLERny Member

I only notice at low speeds. But with my exhaust I can barely hear myself think. And it does in 2wd but it is much more common in 4

10. Antlerart06

If it still does it in 2wd drive then could be back drive shaft and noise could sound like coming from the front

When you was in 2wd was your lock outs un lock or lock

11. VOGLERny

VOGLERny Member

Hubs are always locked in the winter

12. Antlerart06

Well if you drive with out the blade on with hubs lock in all time Then noise could be a axle u joint getting dry
    or a bearing assembly But if the lock out isn't locking in all the way. That isn't good either

You need to check if the noise only does it with it lock in free hubs and see if the noise is there.

13. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I have had caliper bolts back out and squeak.

14. VOGLERny

VOGLERny Member

Drove around today with the window down. Squeaking is constant when driving then stops when I slow down to stop . Almost sounds like something is sloppy on the front drivers side. Every time when the tire makes a rotation it makes the noise. Sloppyness is most noticeable when braking and riding on rough rds and driveways. Gonna take the wheel off tmrw night when I have access to a heated garage to do some investigating.

15. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Sounds like an axle joint.

16. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

We just had basically the same symptoms on our 2005 f350. Driver side axle u joint was worn out.

17. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

I would guess axle u joint.