1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 enough for 3-4yd salter?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bcbrouwer, Feb 21, 2014.

1. bcbrouwer

bcbrouwer Member

As title says Im trying to decide if a cab/chassis with flat deck f350drw would be suitable for a fisher 10' procaster salt/sand spreader. Guessing flat deck will be around 1000lb and the salter is 1000lb. that leaves 5000lb room for material, according to the payload specs (about 7000lb)

I know it depends on how wet the salt is but it seems to be a good match. is anyone running similar setups with a one ton c/c? Should one go to a 450 or 550 for that kind of weight? not sure if the payload is conservative or it can handle more. thoughts and opinions? thanks

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do you want to be legal?

If so, the 350 won't cut it.

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Yup.

If you have salt on site I wouldn't worry about it. But if you have to transport eh. We run 2 yards in everything.

On a side note I worked for a company that ran 550s with 1.5 yard vboxea that you had to load by hand. Lol

4. bcbrouwer

bcbrouwer Member

I have never seen a salt truck pulled over by vehicle compliance where my plowing/slating is done. Maybe things are different in canada, or at least on the east coast. I have about 15km (but through town,traffic, train tracks etc) from salt storage to where i spread.

I mainly want to know if the truck itself will handle the load. If i get in trouble with authorities, that's my fault! Or should I look for a larger truck to spread 3 yards. also I wont always be loading it to the max, just occasionally when we have cold weather or ice storms where u need to spread a lot of salt fast. I have an international 4700 dump with undergate salter, but is not at all user friendly, have to shut off the truck every time to engage the pto, restart (5-8 times per load) to dump back. material sticks to dump bed. then when the salt slides back the box flips back and fully extends the telescoping cylinder with a bang. ready for another v-box i think!

5. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

We put a yard on top of our 2 yards sometimes. But we spread on the same lot we load.

We have two 2500hds and one 3500hd

They squat pretty good

6. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Sand can easily be 2/3k lbs per yard so no, you will be at the max of a 550 and the 350 will be way overloaded.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I hear ya, but you will run into problems with the 350 overloading it regularly.

We did way back in the early 90's. Left the shop with 4 tons of salt every time. Stupid now that I really think about it, but that was 25 years ago and things were different.

Anyways, brakes, wheel studs and tires will be issues. Especially the studs on Furds. I've had numerous issues with OEM studs on 500's. Aftermarkets are much better, so far only 4 of them.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I wouldn't even waste my time with a 1 ton any more, the minute you load it with a couple yards of anything your over loaded.

9. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

My opinion has nothing to do with the law pulling you over. It's about plowing and driving safely. Get in an accident and you're overloaded, and you're gonna get destroyed legally. Not to mention the psychological beating you'll take if ya kill someone.

10. Brian Young

It's tough to say, anything can happen at any time. Our F350 is a srw and before we were out of rock salt we ran a 2 yard vbox and it was heavy but the truck handled it fine I thought. We also run a set of air bags under it with 18lbs of pressure in each bag. I think our "legal payload" is somewhere around 4500lbs and we might have been a hair over that by a few hundred pounds. I think the truck would handle 3 yards. Check part numbers for suspension parts and compare them to an F550. My Ford dealer said my F350 had the same ball joints, brakes and axles etc. as a F350 drw and F450, they said an F550 changes a few things. IDK, ours has held up for a couple years now and we were heaping our 2 yard vbox quite a bit last year

11. Brian Young

I understand the concerns but I think a lot has to do with the govt. getting as much money as possible out of you with the weight rating and registering these trucks. Look at a F250 then a F350 (srw) the only difference is one extra leaf spring but yet the pay load goes way up and so does the registration.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We've ran a 4 yard salter sitting on the frame of our 2001 GMC 3500 since brand new. It's only been used as a salter since new. It mainly runs between 3 sites which are all less then 1 mile from the salt shed. If you have to spend anytime on the road I would advise against it. For us it has worked extremely well. I'd tell you the biggest load my dad has scaled on the truck but you wouldn't believe me. LOL

13. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I know my chevy 3500 went over the scale a 10,500 or so empty. Just plow on front, spreader on rear, it an ext cab, flatbed with hoist. My salter is a smith 1.75 yd with 10" extensions, brings it up to almost 3 yard. The salt yard would only load with 1500 or so lbs because its registered at 12k (mfg weight).I normally liad at my shop, no scale and take about 2 ton, truck handles that fine, if its heaped you can feel it in tge handling on corners not so much in tge brakes. After talking to the salt yard guys they said most of their customers register srw trucks @ 13k & drw at 15k, which to me is horrible if you get in an accident or are stopped your knowingly & pre planning to be overweight.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  14. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

What year 350 ? Will it be for salt only or will it have a plow on the front? I would think that would be better suited for a 550 myself, but I've seen a guy around here with a early 2000's chevy half ton with an 8ft blade and a 2 yd stainless sander fully loaded. The spinner was 2 inches off the ground.

15. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Better pull that boss out of your truck then lol.

Personally the biggest I would put in a one ton is a 2250. I would put a 4 yard if needed in a 550

16. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

The boss vbx is in a 550 and i think that truck is a little wimpy but you wont catch me dead with salt in my international

17. bcbrouwer

bcbrouwer Member

thanks for the feedback. a blade may go on the truck someday, but mainly want it as a salt only truck for now. We plow with tractors. this would possibly be a new f350, have used for it in the other seasons, which 1 ton is more than adequate. I could put a big v-box on my international but the dump box is 10', then the cylinder is at the front and juts in a foot, and then there are gussets on the inside of the box taking up another foot. the longest box I can put in a big heavy truck with 23000 rear axle is 8'! plus I just toasted my allison automatic mt653 apparently from too much back and forth directional changes. I have some small yards with some tight places and steep hills, the pickup would be more nimble I know. I currently also have an f250 with saltdogg 1500. I would not want a bigger salter on it either.

So im thinking maybe to move away from a big heavy truck. However Maybe I can remove the dump box for the winter and put a big 6-8 yard salter on the frame? I know a v-box is way more user friendly and quicker then the undergate salter, especially if I have damp salt. So maybe I will still like the 4700. very indecisive right now. but this will also be for next year. just thinking ahead.

maybe for a salt only truck a used 550 might be the answer? keep your experiences coming, I appreciate all feedback. I weigh what you guys are saying and trying to apply things to my situation.

this response seems choppy i know, in a hurry and I added things and cut out things so it may not all make sense what i say! thanks again

18. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You know salt weights about 2200 lbs per yard right

19. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

And?

Everyone is so against it why does salt dogg recommend 2 yd spreaders for one tons?

20. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Because they don't care if you overload and get tickets or kill some one. They are just pushing a product.