1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 Dump truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Precision Lawn, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

I have ben search to see how much salt I can put in the truck
    Its a 00 F350 deisel dump truck dually with a 8' dump on it
    I found one place that says it will hold 7400 lbs.
    I dealer told me 4 tons does anyone have one and what do you put in it

Thanks Frank
  2. BBailey

BBailey Junior Member
    from Vermont

I have a 2002 Ford F-350 PSD,6spd,4x4 with a 9 ft dump on it that weighs in just under 10k when I am empty. The sticker on my door says the GVW is 12,500. So I can haul 2500lbs legally. I can load it a lot heavier if I want to chance it. I have scaled close to 15k before and the truck can handle it no problem, but I don't do that to often. DOT and DMV pay close attention to you whether you are a small truck or a big truck around here!!! Hope this helps.:waving:
  3. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

The only way to get your real answer is weigh the truck. Most dealers will tell you anything you want to hear. BBailey is right on track about the DOT and DMV. I've been there and it's expensive. They usually allow +3% of max GVW if you get weighed on portables scales. The other thing is not can the truck haul it cuz most won't quit. The big problem with overloading is breaking springs or bending the axlehousing. If you broke a spring and rolled it and hit my wife and kids I guarantee nobodys insurance would cover that lawsuit. The door sticker lists the max axle load so consider that too if you are gonna run heavy.
  4. BBailey

BBailey Junior Member
    from Vermont

Good point Boss550, the best way to tell is to fuel up your truck and have in it anything you would on a normal day. Go to a place that has certified scales and weigh it up empty. Take that number(empty) and subtract it from your GVW. Then you will know what you can haul legally. Thats what I did and it took less than 1 hour. Good piece of mind!!!

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i dont know about you but i really never give a crap about what it can legally haul, who buys a dump truck to haul 2,500 pounds???? screw that, my buddy has an f350 dump and we dont even hesitate to load 4 tons in it, the truck will handle it no problem. if you dont give a crap about the "legal" limit then dont worry about loading it up.
  6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I bet he replaces axle seals soon.:nono:

the trucks a 2001 i believe and he bought it new, and ha's been loading it up ever since nothing but routine maintence has been done, trust me the truck will handle the weight.
  8. BBailey

BBailey Junior Member
    from Vermont

Sorry GOLDPRO, not trying to pee in anyone's cheerios, just trying to answer a fellow Plowsite members question.:eek:
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  9. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

legally about 1-1.5 ton but it will haul about 4 ton. and remember that you will be unloading all night long not leaving it in there for days at a time or driving all over town in rush hour traffic.
  10. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

As mentioned above

As mentioned above;
    Fill up your fuel tank and weigh it...Take that weight from your GVW on your door sticker and that is what you can Legally carry...Anything above that and you are breaking the law,if you get into a accident overweight you will be at fault...
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should...There is a reason the factory rates your vehicle for a certain weight and that usually has something to do with its weakest part/point...
  11. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

If your buddy wanted to haul 4 tons he should have bought an F550. The fact that an F350 can handle 4 tons (it can) is irrelevant. In the event that your friend is involved in an accident he faces the possibility of losing that F350, his house, bank account and possibly his freedom if the accident results in someones death. Unless your buddy is homeless or lives in his mothers basement and has a negative net worth, he is taking great risk by driving around an illegally overloaded truck. His lawyer and insurance agent will "give a crap about what it can legally haul",even if you and he don't.
  12. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

our 1999 F350 PSD weighs empty at 9,400lbs and the GVWR is 12,500...so legally you can hold 3,100 lbs. but we have had ours overloaded to where the leaf springs were hitting the stops.
  13. tgumby4

tgumby4 Junior Member

With the added weight of a v-box spreader and a 9' plow most F350's are limited to about 1500 LBS or less of salt/sand mix to run legal. Working that light will put you out of business very quickly around here, to much back and forth to the job and not enough plowing.
    On the door my 04 F450 the GVW is listed as 15K LBS. When you add the front axle GVW with the rear axle GVW you come up with 16K LBS. Which is right? I guess it depends who you ask.
    The 05 F450 had wider axles and couple of other minor changes that raised the GVW to 16k LBS. When you add the front and rear axles up on them you come up with 16k LBS.

It is my understanding that GVW is limited by not just drive-train and horsepower, but also tire rating and stopping power!!!

I usually haul 4 ton on my F450, that puts be across the scales at about 17k LBS, overloaded yes, but in my own opinion it is much safer than these twenty five year old rust buckets running within their GWV's around here. Although the DOT will probably disagree.
    Just my two cents!!!!!

blah blah blah legal weight blah blah blah if you guys wanna be sticklers about the legal weight then go ahead and carry your 2,500 pounds, i have never ever ever ever did i say ever??? see of an instance where a guy with a dump truck got introuble for being overweight, its just rediculous, were going to contunue to load ours with as much as she will take and not worry about the weight limit.

and yea we have had the dump so loaded that the tires were flexing. and it still held it woith no probls, why buy an f550 when you have a perfectly good f350 that will do the same job.
  15. Oshkosh

Thats not as bad...

The DOT in my area will give you like 15% if there are no scales where you are loaded, so you arnt that far off.
    As far as the others running 6,000 over that is just stupid..If you don't believe me ask a DOT cop...Thats all you have to do,drive up to him with you shinny new one ton overflowing and ask him if it is OK that you are 3 ton over....I think you know the answer...
    If you cannot afford the right equipment for the job maybe you should re think your business plan.Talk about Lowballers...

your a moron enough said. your obviously one of those sticklers i was talking about, get a life man, its not like the d0od said can i put 4 ton in my 91 ford f-150. an f350 dump will do anything you need it to do and do it just fine with no complaints.

This has nothing to do with business plan, if you ask me they have a better plan then you, most people are not scared little kids when loading their trucks, if you wanna go out and spend 50k on a new f550 so you can do the same **** an f350 can do with no problems, then go ahead man. waist your money.
  17. Oshkosh

Grow up..

Grow up! You dont have a clue do you?

yeah your right stickler, this forum makes me sick reading about all you panzeys scared to throw alittle too much weight in the truck, or tossing alittle bigger plow on your trucks, most people dont give a piss about what the law states, or what the max size plow your suppose to run on your trucks, who gives a crap, d0od, do you think being a stickler is going to help you get to heaven???
  19. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Wow goldpro, having a bad day? At ease soldier

haha no i just hate reading all these horse piss responses to GVW and what your truck SHOULD do its those select few panzeys who always write the stickler text book answers straight from the ford websight, 90 percent of people dont give a crap, this d0od wants to know if his truck will haul 4 ton YES IT WILL!!!!!! end of story. he obviously doesnt give a ***** about you sticklers and your text book answers, so go away.

my truck is rated for 3/4 ton, do i load more in it??? yes i do and dont give a **** about the weight limit, i have put 2 ton in my ram on more then 1 occasion, is it safe? who cares, did it haul it, yes the hell it did. im not going to make two trips to pick up mulch when i can toss it all in my truck in one trip.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2007