1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 Dually CC

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by LR3, Oct 26, 2011.

1. LR3

LR3 Senior Member

I'm looking to buy a new truck in the next week or two and was wondering what your advice would be. Here's the situation, I'm looking for a truck to plow with this year, tow my mower trailer with next year and also use as a part time daily driver. I will also be towing an 8500lb. skid steer from time to time as well. Do you think a DRW would be a mistake for plowing?

2. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

depending on what year truck you are talking about 8500 lbs can be done with a 250 srw or 350 srw. heres my 2011 pullin 13500lbs like its not back there [​IMG] and i have towes that set up with my 05 250 but buy all means if a drw truck is what you want as long as you get a 9 ft or bigger plow you will be fine, one of my guys has a crewcab 06 drw and with 2500lbs in the bed he plowed all last year in njs heavy storms in just 2wd.

3. glennemay

glennemay Member

I have a 2004 350 DRW V10.

I have a Fisher 9' MM plow on her. She pushes snow like nobody's business. The only drawback to it is the length. Oh yeah, did I mention that it is a Crew Cab 8' bed :)

But no, not a mistake depending on what you are plowing. If you are shagging driveways and trying to scoot around cars and such, no, not your vehicle. I have a very large driveway, two of them in fact and it works great.

And oh yeah. Towing. You WON'T BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE!!!!

G

4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

If you plan on plowing open lots and not tight areas then go with the dually. Also the resale value is better on the dually. When you start to pull that 8500lb skid steer you will be glad you went with it. A SRW 350 or 250 will pull just fine but you will have a lot less sway with the dually and better over all handling. I would put a 9' plow on that but it really depends on what you plan on plowing. The turning radius is not that great & I think its better on the 450

5. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

The short answer is that you will absolutely love the DRW when towing, but absolutley hate it when plowing. Those rear fenders might as well be "obstacle feelers." And has been already said, you'll really need a 9' plow with DRW and only an 8.5' with a SRW. That's a lot of extra weight on the front end and more hassle with the authorities on width.

If you only two the skid steer once in a while, I think you'll find the SRW version a better compromise.

6. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

8'6" to 9' only adds 30lbs of blade to the front end (roughly, I found the spec on westerns site last winter unless my memory is failing me).. don't think that makes much of a difference when we're talking 800+lbs anyway.

I run a 9' V on my 3/4 ton too, just food for thought.

7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

You wouldn't need a dually to pull a skid... SRW will do the job just fine. I guess it more what you prefer.