1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 DRW vs F450

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mark13, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm kinda looking at changing up trucks and have found a few nice 08 6.4/auto F350 DRW trucks and a couple F450's. I don't see a reason to need an F450 at all, but it's hard to notice that they arn't that much more expensive then the exact same truck but an f350 (under $4000 more in some cases)

I realize tires are more expensive along with insurance and plates, but is there any other disadvantages? I don't need a crew cab, I like my extended cab but aside from that is there a reason they don't sell for crap and are very competitively priced compared to 1tons?

And it wouldn't stay stock, with 4.30 rear gears and tuning along with exhaust it should get respectable fuel mileage?

Maybe I've been awake to long and it's all a dumb idea. :dizzy:

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Thumbs Up Keep what you have, what would you need the drw for?

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've started to do alot of towing, mostly goosenecks. I had no problems with my srw truck with airbags towing the trailer until I got to pull my usual trailer with a dually. So much more stable and comfortable. And my truck's been giving me problems and if it doesn't straighten up pretty quick it's asking to be sold.

4. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

Mark the real difference between the 350 and 450 is GVW and GVRW. I have seen the stuff you have been towing and I think that a 450 would be more fit for your towing. Talk to Jason about it since that kid is the Wikipedia of trucks. I also know that you are gonna let him "tune" it for you, so like you said gas mileage is not a problem. Are you gonna keep the Chevy for plowing? I know that I would not want to plow in a DRW

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My Chevy has been driving me up the wall lately. It's the reason I've been looking for trucks.
    Jason and I both know plenty about the trucks. I'd probably leave it stock until the warranty runs out or atleast for a while until I can't afford 8mpg anymore. I'm getting used to it with my Chevy though, last few tanks have been between 8.5 and 10mpg.

6. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

The F450 pickup only came as a crew cab, which you said you may not need. The key difference between the F350 DRW and the F450 is the axles, brakes,tires and gear ratios.
    With the heavy towing you do the F450 may be your best bet, but maybe consider the F350 with the TowBoss package (4.30 gears, 26,000LB GCWR I think). Payload wise there isn't much difference between the two. If I remember right the F450 may turn tighter due to the wider front axle.
    Tractor Plower on here has a '08 F450 that he uses to pull hay and horses, he may be the one to ask.

7. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

I hear you on gas mileage, between plowing and idling at school so it starts after im in the 10-13 range. Also with the 450 you could carry one hell of a salter!

If you order the 450 commercial you can get straight, extended, or crew cab.

8. Stik208

Describe the problems if you dont mind.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  10. Stik208

Cant believe I missed this one.

11. 01lariat

01lariat Member

We had a 03 F450 single cab dump with a 6.0L torque-shift w/4.88 gear. The F-450 was a dynamo in pulling anything. Constantly way overloaded and never phased it. It was ridiculous as to how much it could handle. We had gone in our business from F350 dwr, to F-superduty, to F450. To me and I know if dad was still alive he'd agree, the F450 is by far the definitive starting point of one serious truck. It is truly top-notch best in class. Being they are so closely priced to the F350, it is a no brainer.

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I just don't know if I really want to DD a F450. While their awesome trucks I'm just not sure if it's something that's cost effective to have.

13. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

id be watchful of the 08's, stick to late 09 or 10 if you can. kid named andrew on lawnsite bought a used 08 450 that gave him all sorts of trouble, dealer bought it back from him and put it towards a 10 that he said has been flawless.

he does row work and other stuff he pulls a 25' g/n trailer with a t320 with mulcher head on it or a 50d deere miniX with a flail mower.

he drives all over the place working for asplundh and his own contracting on the side.

for constant towing they are the trucks to have.

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

2 of my friends have 08's and no issues. My friend who works on all my stuff does alot of dealing with a ford dealer the next town over and they've been nothing but great help doing research on the last two 6.4s his family has gotten. I've got the Vin for the f350 drw I'm looking at and they ran an oasis on it this morning and he has all the paperwork and he said it's been a good truck so far. I'd only be afraid of the Job 1 and Job 2 6.4s, however my friend has a Job 1 truck that's no where near stock with 140k on it and he's had no trouble with it and is one sweet truck. The p/o had it back for warranty work alot when it was new but Ford got it straightened out and the oasis showed no further problems with it after the first few months.

I'm on LS also, do you have a link to his thread if there is one?

15. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I looked at going the 450 route to.. The insurance and low gears stopped me from buying one. If you buy a 350 with 373 or lower gears you will be able to tow about anything you want to. I have a friend with a 2010 350 towboss and he pulls a New JD 410 on a 35+5 GN every day without issues. Another friend has a 09 dually that we put a custom tuned SCT and dpf delete on. It has 373's and he gets like 16-17mpg empty and around 12 pulling his T-300 bobcat.
    I like the d-maxes but If you trade up for a 6.4 you won't be disappointed.
    Robert

16. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

The wider axle is nice......be it a F-450 or the widetrack option on a F-350. I have a Reg. Cab F-450 that turns like car with that wide axle. Great for maneuvering around.

19.5s are nice for weight, and how long the tires last.
    But, when it comes time to replace all 6 it isn't cheap, LOL. Just had to do twelve 19.5s this year, more from age than mileage/tread depth. One set was 8yrs old and the other was 10yrs. Around 60,000miles on them.

I only have 99-07s so I have no experience on the mpg of the 08+ trucks.
    With 4.88s I get around 10mpg in our F-450s and F-550, but that is 7.3s and 6.0s.

17. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I'd get the F-450 and a smaller vehicle like a Colorado, Ranger, Etc......

I have a 3500HD (comparable to a F-450), and love the thing even being a gasser. My S-10 gets me around to do the grocery gettin with way better fuel economy.

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've got a little s10, it's quite the truck err, rust bucket. It was free and so far been the most reliable truck I have had.

19. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

This is coming from the guy who had "God created ****, Ford put wheels on it" in his sig???? And yes, I'm calling you out.

20. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Hey, give him a break. It takes some people a little time to see the light lol.
    Robert