1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f350 blown rear end? use it or not

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bullit340, Jan 2, 2006.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

My f350 is having some rear end problems, serious klunk when taking off in drive. No leaks, fluid is ok, ujoints are in good shape. I am thinking maybe a carrier bearing or something. I cant get it fixed til later in the week, so would you guys take the chance and plow with it klunking away and hope you dont do any more damage or would you loose the money and sit it out this storm? Go figure it has the sander in it as well. Any ideas would be cool to
  2. Ian

Ian Member

Unbolt the drive shaft from the rear axle yoke. Try to turn the yoke. It should move back and forth a little. Say less than 1/4 inch movement. If it moves alot, the problem is in the rear end. I bet that it isn't.

Now look at the drive shaft. Look at every u joint and the carrier support bearing if you have one. Sometimes you have to remove the shaft to exam them. I have seen joints that were terrible but they seemed fine when they were installed.

If it is an automatic. The problem could be there or with the transfer case.

I would probably verify that the rear end, transfercase and transmission have fluid. Grease the u joints and plow away. Just keep a friends cell phone number handy.
  3. heliski989

heliski989 Member
    from mi

how do you know it is the rear end??

as said before... check to make sure it is the rearend, it could be a number of other things. as for a carier barring, that is highly unlikely. one thing to check it the pinion shaft... if it is the pinion berring you will here a clunk when you accelerate, and give you a small viberation when you let off the gas around 70 mph. that is an easy fix tho, all you have to do is tighten the pinion shaft bolt( requires taking the drive shaft off)
    other things to try would be Trans mount, pinion shaft angle(if you lifted the truck, or have load bags) good luck!! Jon