1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F350 6.0L making a turkey sound!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have yet another weird thing happen to this damn truck. After getting all the ball joints, brakes etc. done, it was oil change time. After driving it around after the oil change it started making a weird noise every time I let off the gas pedal....it sounded like a damn turkey gobbling. It only happen when I let off the gas pedal and the turbo was winding down. Any thoughts? It stopped doing it for now but after all the crap I've been through with this thing nothing would surprise me.

2. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

It happens every time you let off the throttle? Or is it after you accelerate kind of hard ad then quickly let off the throttle?

3. Brian Young

It seemed to do it when I accelerated a bit harder then let off.

4. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I have an 07 6.0 that will do the same thing if I get on it hard a let off quickly.... I'm pretty sure its just excess boost from the Turbo being dumped through the BOV. If it seems to run fine otherwise, I wouldn't be too worried. Try doing a normal acceleration and the letting off the pedal a little slower than just suddenly taking your foot off.

5. Brian Young

Its only done it this one time and yes, when I drove it softer there were no issues. Just a very weird noise.

6. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

A friend of mine had a similar thing with his truck.... it started making the noise your describing when he was pulling his skidsteer, so just to see what would happen, he hammered on it for a few seconds, which got the boost up to about 25 psi and then he let off quickly. The excess boost actually blew off one of the tubes going to the charge air cooler.

7. Brian Young

Well I did notice when the guy was filling it with oil he bumped the top turbo tube and it moved about 3 inches, I dont know if that might have something to do with it.

8. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

They have a tendency to get an oily residue around those tubes, I would check them all and make sure they are clean and that the clamps are tight.

9. Brian Young

I will check it out today, I have to put on some rear air bags on it. I think I need to let it warm up a bit longer now that its getting cold out.

10. R.G.PEEL

R.G.PEEL 2000 Club Member
    from Toronto

The technical term is "turbo fart"

11. wewille

wewille Senior Member

In most causes that noise you hear is normal. The 6.0l does not use a blow off valve. Insead it uses a variable geometry turbo. When you are accelerating the vanes are commanded to direct exhaust towards the center of the turbine, to help it spool quicker reducing turbo lag. As speed increases and boost increases the vanes "open" up to allow for higher boost levels. The noise is just exess air on the cold side of the turbo. When you let off the throttle the boost levels are still high, so it backs up and "farts" through the intake. Unless you nitice any other problems, like low power, smoke or anything else i wouldnt worry.

12. wewille

wewille Senior Member

If you do have clamps blowing off, obviously clean the oil residue, inspect the boots and clamps. If they still come off you may have sticking turbo issues.

13. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

I think it is only making a turkey sound since it is so close to thanksgiving and it is hungry. Maby you could find some bio desiel made from oil out of a turkey fryer. :laughing: