1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f350 4X2?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brandonk, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Brandonk

Brandonk Junior Member

I have the chance to buy a f 350 dump truck for a good deal, but the truck is 2 wheel drive. I heard the traction is terrible plowing with these trucks? anyone have any experience with this? thanks
  2. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I wouldn't. I know people plow with 2wd. I try to plow in 2wd as much as I can to see what I can do, but I always need to throw it into 4wd. Even with a full sander. You will get stuck and it may be something silly like pushing too far into a pile on an ever so slight incline. Then you will wish for it.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If it's a dually, then go for it. And also if you have no major inclines to plow.

Otherwise, with my truck, it does extremely well as a 2wd.

4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

This topic has been brought up many times on this site. Do a search and you will have plenty of reading.List the specifics of this truck. SRW, DRW, single ,extended , crew??? There are a lot of factors involved. What will you be plowing? You will need lots and lots of weight in the dump.
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

4x4 trucks in regular cab form are impossible to find here. I've thought about just getting a 4x2 F350 dually dump and putting a locker in the axle. I'd also carry a set of chains with me and/or having a set of studded snows on it. And of course throw in a ton or two of weight in the back.
  6. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

More like 3 or 4 ton in the back....
  7. White Gardens

Locker is the key. My posi locker works like a charm.

8. Brandonk

Brandonk Junior Member

The truck is a 2006 6.0 reg cab with a grain body dump, i would be putting an 8 ft straight blade boss and 2 yard v box spreader in it. Most of my properties are flat and I would be in my other truck close (all my contracts are within 5 miles of each other) by which is 4x4 if the dump got stuck. The main reason im considering this is just because of the good deal and it will be used for landscape work to
  9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

An 8 foot blade will not clear the rear wheels good enough and it sounds like it may be long with a grain body on it. Get a 9 footer or put some wings on the 8.
  10. White Gardens

Then go for it, you won't be disappointed, just slightly perturbed every now and then.

11. Brandonk

Brandonk Junior Member

yeah i'm going to be putting wings on the 8 footer, thanks guys for the help. i'll be sure to throw some pics up if I buy it.
  12. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

buy it!!!! we use a 2wd and plow roads with it, driveways, parking lots, hills etc. i put 2500 lbs of sand in it and give it hell. i have a 8ft with wings boss straight on it. it has posi traction. it is fantastic. it gets a little dicey if you get into heavy heavy snow but otherwise your fine. with a spreader you'll be fine as long as your loaded.
  13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

This pic was sitting in my photobucket album. I got it off the net a long time ago for some reason. Plenty of people certainly use 4x2 duallys.