1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f250 w/100,000 to old for plow

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by syrbaseball, Sep 22, 2007.

1. syrbaseball

syrbaseball Junior Member

Just got a used 02 f250 w/ 100,000 miles on it. It has never had a plow nor been abused. Is it suicide for my truck if I put a plow on it now. 5.4L 4x4
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm planning on putting a plow on my 98 Chevy with 150k on it. It should be fine.
  3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

its in better shape than most trucks that have a few seasons on them.That is if the truck was maintained.
  4. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

More than ok. That truck is just getting broken in.
  5. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 99 F250 with 160,000 miles on it. Runs like a champ!
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It should do fine. Just make sure you have enough alternator & big battery to run a plow truck. A towing transmision cooler in place to keep it cool.
  7. JT Contracting

JT Contracting Junior Member

I have a 02 f250SD with 125000 miles and I have plowed two years with it and I am not afraid to continue for years to come. The only key is to keep it maintained and not just the normal stuff either, check ball joints, tie rods, etc. and change tranny fluid on a regular basis.
  8. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I have a 99 f250 with the 5.4 been plowing with it since 40,000 and got 160,000 it now and 5 years and still plowing strong. Just keep up the matetince and you will be fine.
  9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you can wrench and don't mind buying parts and spending the time it can go on till rust kills it. Mines been a plow truck it's whole life, the Grime-Ruster will probably kill it this year.
  10. Plowformoney

Plowformoney Junior Member

I had a 1991 F-150 166,000 miles with a lift and tires. Truck was driven, not babied its whole life.

I through a plow on it and made $7,000 in 1 winter. Never had a problem with it. :nod:
  11. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I pretty much agree with everything being said. I have a 5.4 w/ only 30k on it, but it pushes like the day I bought it.

I had the plow installed about a week after I bought it new and it's been pushing since. The engine is a real workhorse and I've heard it will easily go 100k w/ proper maintenance.

Like others have said, just do the normal maintenance and check the other stuff. Other than that.....pray for snow!!
  12. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

yamaguy is puttin a plow on this 350 with 230k so im sure that youll be fine.