1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 vibration withs hubs locked in

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ben, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Ben

Ben Member

I have a 1990 f250 with a 7'6" boss plow im getting a severe vibration with the hubs locked in. cant go over 45mph because of the vibration any ideas what to check first. Thanks Ben

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

The vibration is only in 4 wheel ? then check the shafts and u joints on the axles and check the hubs themselves.. I had the factory ford hubs go bad early on and they made a horrible vibration coupled with a nasty grinding sound.. scared the heck out of me.. but a new set of warn hubs and it was good to go...If it happens at all speeds and in 2wd too , then check the wheel bearings and ball joints as well... why your under there check your steering linkages as well...

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'd start with the front driveshaft, check u-joints and slip joint for slop. Then go to the steering knuckles as was suggested and check for the same thing. There is also a small bearing or bushing the axle rides on in the housing that can go bad too.

4. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

This may be a long shot but it happened to me a few years ago. I had an 88 F250 that was making a making a whining sound and vibrating only in 4 wheel, pretty nearly as you described. Turned out to be the transfer case was shot. Turned out to be a nasty bill, because this time of year the shop was not able to get a rebuilt one so I got the new one and paid top $$ for it.

Hope you are not in that boat. Good luck

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

If it turns out to be the transfer case, give me a shout, I may be able to help you.

6. Ben

Ben Member

Thanks for the help. It only vibrates in 4wd not 2wd. going to have a friend check it out this weekend, now i know where to start.

7. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

Ben , dont leave us hangin , What was it , did you find the probem ??? let us in on it ......

8. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Good luck Ben. We're pulling for you!