1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 still running warm

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by green frog, Nov 8, 2007.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I have a 1995 F250 with a western pro plow 7.5 and had over heating problems. The first was carrying the plow to high. I also flushed the radiator and put in new fluid. Now with the plow low a idle temp sits a the o or r ( as in normal temp ) but while moving its at the l. So its not over heating but thinking once I start plowing it will. Any ideas on how to keep it cooler?
  2. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

what kind of an engine do you have in it
  3. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Green Frog,

I have a 96 F250 with the 7.5 liter gas engine. I have the same issue with my Fisher 8' blade. Usually my truck will start getting hot when I start out on a trip with it on. It has on occasion gotten to the point where the antifreeze boils out of the resevoir. I usually stop my truck and let it cool down (a couple minutes) and it goes back to normal operating temps and I don't have any more issues (thats on long trips with the plow on) Usually when driving around town my temp get going up and when I plow it drops back down and stays at normal. The only thing I have been able to do to keep my temp down is try to find a way to get more air into my radiator. I have found that if I leave my plow low (when driving) and tilted either to the left or right, I get more air into engine and I don't have any issues with the truck overheating.

There are a few posts here on the site in regards to adding additional fan to the engine compartment in addition to having your fan sinked to operate more often to keep the truck cool. You would have to do a search on overheating or fan blade ajustment to find those past discussions.
  4. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

I have a 1996 Dodge 1500 with the boss 7.6 pro. I have had the same problem you both describe since day one. I have spent close to 2000 dollars trying differnet things to no avail. Last fall I installed dual electric fans set to come on at 165 to try and ease the problem. It still heated up at high way speeds. Around town or plowing though it runs normal. Drives you nuts when it does that. I finally figured out what was wrong and did the fix myself. Ther rubber air dam you have to remove from the bottom of the bumper when you install the undercarriage is actually part of the cooling system on newer 95 or newer trucks. When you remove that, coupled with the way the grills are designed now and the plow blocking most of the grill in all positions you end up over heating at highway speeds. What I did was take the air dam I took off when the plow was mounted and started snipping until I had most of it back on Its in three pieces now but it solved the problem. It still runs a little warmer then without the the plow but it doesn't over heat anymore. You can also go online and I think Western makes an air scoop that mounts to the light bar that pushes air directly into the grill. I know on guy who has one and he said that works great. The only problem is when your pushing lots of snow it get clogged up and you have to get out and clear it once in awhile. Hope this helps.
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

6. green frog

green frog Senior Member

The motor is a 5.8l. I don't take long trips but have a route that is 25 miles start to end. I just moved and already had accounts so I am sucking up the driving this season. I will look at the western site. Thanks all.
  7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 04 F250 diesel and im wondering if I will have overheating issues as well. I have fake hoodscoops on and im thinking about turning them in to real hoodscoops if I have a problem with the heating. Has anyone done this?

8. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I was trying to answer Green Frogs post. I know what to do if my truck is going to overheat. When it comes to long trips for me, I am contracted to plow some Ice Fishing Contests in MN where I need to drive an hour or two away from home. In addition, my parents head south in the winter and I have to make sure their drive is open when they are gone. Thanks for the posts though