1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 stick to auto swap?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bucky6981, Feb 3, 2012.

1. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

I have a 97 F250 with a powerstroke, I was looking to sell, but not getting good response... Has anyone ever swapped the ZF five speed out for a C6? I know I'll lose overdrive but I can't seem to find a standalone controller for the E4OD. Length might be an issue(usually is...), but can it be done? I do have a donor truck that's an auto, so I can use the column and pedals from that.

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

its not a big deal i have done one we put an e4od in a 95 powerstroke replace the trans harnees computer and the shafts are shorter not a big deal

3. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

Wats the truck used for? c6 will take a hell of a lot more beating the. An e4od

4. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

I use it for plowing, and pulling my fifth wheel. Mostly I just don't want the stick shift anymore, but can't seem to sell it to replace ie with what I want.

5. Morrissey snow removal

that five speed should bring all of $850

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Thought the diesel trannys were different from the gas trannys as far as gearing, since the diesel does not turn as many rpms. I didn't think any of the powerstroke's every had a C6.

7. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

I agree, I know they out them behind the old IDI 6.9's, and 7.3's... The truck has 3.55's so it won't turn super high rpm's, and I drive slow. Haha. I was just wondering what everyone's thought would be on it.

8. Morrissey snow removal

89 and under had c6 some up to 92 them they were all mostly e4od or 5 speed

9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Not to be dick.
    If nobody want your truck that mean you are ask TOO MUCH $$.

And I had hell hard time sell those trucks in Michigan. none them will fork $4K for 95 F250 with 351W only 80K miles.

Swap transmission not worth it not gonna to help you sell at price you want.

I had 1 truck that I won't sell because I would lose my $$.

10. Morrissey snow removal

sorry i missed over the part where u said u wanted to sell the truck my bad it would not help the sale at all

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

How much are you asking for it?

12. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

correct. the powerstroke did not have the C-6 option.
    but the 6.9 -7.3 IDI did.
    the only problem i can see with putting a c-6 behind a stroker is getting proper vacuum to the modulator valve, and hooking up a downshift rod.

13. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

My point was actually that I was going to do the swap and keep the truck... As luck would have it I actually sold it yesterday! Thanks for all the help tho guys. Now I'm on the search for the same body style one ton.

14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Good thing you sold it. A coversion is not as easy as it looks. I did one and it was a real operation.