1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 Starting Issues

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PLC1985, Jan 13, 2010.

1. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

Hey guys looking for some help troubleshooting some noise complaints...i have been thru 3 starters now and cant figure out my problem. On occasion ( maybe once or twice a week) when i turn the key i get a loud screaching sound when i turn it over...9 times outta 10 the truck starts right up no problem..cant figure it out. I think it may be a broken tooth on whatever it is the starter is engaging into..first 2 times i figured it was a starter and bein under warranty i wanted to eliminate that option. Any input would be appreciated pretty mechanically inclined and would like to fix it..its not a big issue i just dont want it to turn into one and its a little embarrassing and annoying..thanks for the help
  2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Sounds like missing teeth on the flywheel. Post truck specs, year, tranny, engine etc.
  3. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

thanks for the quick response...its a 2001 F250 5.4L automatic...4x4 110,000 miles
  4. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

It does sound like you are missing or damaged teeth on the flywheel. Also who's starter did you install? If you used an inexpensive replacement even under warranty it can do this. Is this the reason why you initially changed out the starter? If not then will the starter warranty cover the damage to the flywheel? I had a Napa premium line starter fail and damage teeth on a manual transmission flywheel ring gear and Napa's warranty covered the whole repair.
  5. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

hmm ya i was afraid of that...cuz now the transimssion hasta be dropped and thats not really suttin i can do in the driveway...unfortately the starter didnt cause the problem..i only replaced the starter thinking maybe it was the teeth on the starter the noise was there before i replaced it...thats good news for you tho w/ the napa line starter..i always use napa replacement parts its good to hear they stand behind there line-up thanks for all the help
  6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Funny you started this thread. I just replaced a starter for this same problem and now its starting again. 2000 F250, 7.3 PSD. Will be going back to the mechanic by weeks end.
  7. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

im probably going to tackle this project myself...ive always done most of my repairs on my own..the only work i generally send out to the mechanic is engine and transmission work but because of lack of income im hoping i can accomplish this one on my own...does anybody have any advice or previous expeirience w/ dropping there transmission Im not so worried about removing/installing the fly wheel im more hesitant about the transmission removal/ installation any words of wisdom would be great thanks for the help
  8. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

before dropping the tranny, i'd pull the starter, and the dust sheild. roll the engine over with a pry bar in the teeth of the flex plate, and look for worn, damaged, or missing teeth. if you don't see any, then that's not your problem.

if you can see where the flexplate connects to the ring gear, look for cracks or bends aswell

this might save you from pulling the tranny.

you can also measure the depth of the ring gear, compared to the starter mount, then check that the bendix of the starter comes out far enough to fully engage the ring gear. i had that issues on a 79 ford, someone had put the wrong one in, and it would eat the teeth off the ring gear in a month or two