1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f250 starter

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by M.S.P.M., Aug 10, 2010.

1. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

i have a 2000 f250 superduty and i took it off road and ended up blowing the fender mounted selinoid and an alternator. now i replaced them and when i got the truck running the stater stays engaged. i replaced both selenoids, the starter, ignition switch, and the tumbler and it still stays engaged. i have run out of ideas and any help would be apreciated.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

a short in the wiring?

3. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

i have gone over the wireing and there isnt any noticable defects or burn marks

4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

The solenoid may be defective out of the box- it happens.

5. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

thats what i was thinking so i replaced it twice and its still staying engaged

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Its prety simple to ck the wiring going to the solenoids. There should be no need for guessing at replacing parts. Simple test light and wiring diagram is all u need. Starter circut is a fairly simple thing. What engine does it have? I will try to look at the schematic. Did u wire the solenoid wrong when u replaced it?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Just a thought

maybe the starter not still running but the Bendix is not retracting.

put a test light on the wire between the solenoid and the starter. If the light stays on when the key is released then its a solenoid or wire problem. if the light goes out but the starter is still engaged then its the starter.

8. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

i fixed it. i took the selinoid off and cleaned up the wire connections a little bit and it works fine now.

9. brad96z28

A bad connection is not going to produce current to the startor. Did u happen to put the wires on the correct way this time maybe?

10. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

yeah i switched them up too. i had one of my friends put the new one on for me cause i work full time and go to collage so i dont have alot of time to work on it, and he screwed it up he ran the wire that goes to the starter to the wrong terminal and was sending power to the starter all the time.

11. brad96z28

Thats what I was thinking. Since the problem happened when it got changed and u ruled out prety much everything else possible. Glad u got it fixed. :mechanic:

12. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

yeah i dont know why i didnt think of that sooner cause it started staying engaged when he changed the selinoid.

13. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Ironically, I'm having the same problem with an 02 V10. Solenoid went out. Haven't had time to replace yet.