1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 Sloppy Steering

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by yellowdogs, Nov 14, 2010.

1. yellowdogs

yellowdogs Junior Member

My 06 250 has a lot of play in the steering wheel and feel like it wants to pull to the side of the road. Anyone else feel this before? Is there a way to tighten up the steering box?

2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

you sure its in the steering box and its not one of the tie rod ends or another joint in the steering system.

3. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

there is a allen head on top of the steering box. theres a bolt u need to loosen first then screw that allen head in a quarter turn at a time. if you tighten it too much you'll bind the gears inside the box resulting in failure. tightening up the box is a temporary bandaid. the box has already failed. get a napa (cardone) replacement with a lifetime warranty.

4. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Dont waste your time with a parts store rebuilt box. Spend the extra dollars and use a
    Red Head remanufactured box

5. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

redheads are nice looking but the price is double what your reman is with a lifetime warranty...

6. yellowdogs

yellowdogs Junior Member

I haven't had a chace to really look at the steering. I.m not sure if it could be a joint or rod end. could it be? I'm just looking for a place to start. thanks for all the help

7. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

That was what i said 2 years ago when i put a NAPA box in my 99. By last spring it was bad with tons of play in just 18 months. So i am now in the process of getting another under warranty. More time wasted replacing it again. It would really suck if i had to pay someone again to replace it.

8. ctbman

ctbman Member

loose steering

A box wont make it pull unless its binding.They normally get loose not tight.The pull could be as simple as low tire pressure in one tire.Check the rod ends and d link