1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 Running Hot?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by i_am_chris, Jan 18, 2006.

1. i_am_chris

i_am_chris Junior Member

Well, the Toyota seemed to be bleeding at the transmission, so I bought an '84 F250 with a Fisher plow. It was overheating so I had some work done on it, new fan clutch, new water pump, new thermostat, etc. Fixed a few other things too. The mechanic consorted with some of his cohorts and found they all recall this particular model ran a bit hot. I've got no problem plowing my driveway, it seems to run in the middle on the temp gauge, but when I was on the street I had to pop the hood latch and get a bit more airflow when the needle hit the upper limit. Anyone got an '84 F250 and have it run hot like that?
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Did you have the plow on? How fast were you traveling?
    Did try lowering the plow a little?
    The plow may be deflecting the air flow across the radiator,
  3. i_am_chris

i_am_chris Junior Member

I dropped the plow down a bit, but rural Vermont isn't know for its nice smooth roads so too low and it smacks the road every now & then. I wondered if the plow was a cause, the mechanic said it shouldn't be. They didn't test run without the plow, I'd like to give it a try some day. Opening the hood just that few inches made a HUGE difference, so I'm thinking along that line. Was going about 45-50mph
  4. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Take the plow off and see if it still does it. If not then the blocked air flow due to the plow is the problem. If it still runs hot then I would say you have a bad/plugged radiator.

If it runs hot now and it is not due to blocked air flow what is it going to do when the weather warms up.
  5. i_am_chris

i_am_chris Junior Member

"If it runs hot now and it is not due to blocked air flow what is it going to do when the weather warms up."

Sit aside and rust for a few months until time to plow again :D not sure, hopefully we have enough funds left after construction to trade in what we've got and get a new truck & plow. At least, that's MY plan. My fiancee isn't sure that's a good plan.
  6. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

Does the truck have A/C?
    Do you need it?
    If not, pull the condenser out from in front of the radiator. Get a fin comb from the parts store and straighten out any bent fins in the radiator.
    Another small thing most people forget when they have an overheating problem is to replace the radiator cap. Believe it or not, it plays a big part in the cooling system.

What motor does your truck have?
    Mine has the 460 and it runs cool all the time.
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Those had single core radiators- replace it with a couble core- 4 rows.
    Those dId run hot, but the plow IS causing some of it. Anything in front of the radiator disrupting airflow straight through is a problem. Poping the hood latch is a bad idea- they can fail causing the hood to fly up and over the cab - blocking the winshield and destroying the hood, possibly the winshield too.

1> change the radiator to a bigger one.
    2> remove the AC if present as mentioned.
    3> try angling the blade to the side for carry- it tends to disrupt less airflow overall letting more flow through the radiator.
    4> add a scoop to the truck hood- something that will force in air- cowl induction may work best- if you want ram air type forward facing remember if the opening is in a no flow area caused by the blade it does no good.
  8. i_am_chris

i_am_chris Junior Member

Its got a 351. Not sure if it has AC but I definitely don't need it. I am not really keen on the hood popping either, that was at the very end of the ride and I wasn't going too fast, so I took the risk. I did leave it popped while plowing my driveway, mostly 'cuz I forgot about it, will push down when I plow again. The mechanic did replace the radiator cap, thankfully they started with the simple, inexpensive fixes first. They mentioned the small radiator too, but didn't replace it. I had thought about some kind of intake or cowl to get air in as well, maybe a couple shotgun blasts to the hood :jester: I'll follow up on some of these. Think its probably good for now, in the spring I'll pop the plow off and see what I can do to get the problem resolved permanently. The back gas tank apparently leaks a bit too - am told this was another problem with that era of this model, would like to get any lingering gas emptied as I think it is sloshing around and spilling out. Not good for the planet, that gas stuff.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Keep an eye on that temp gage- 351's tend to loose head gaskets when overheated! I had a Bronco with the affliction.
  10. almostbk1stday

almostbk1stday Member
    from ontario

I know its not your truck but my ford f150 (1992) overheated 9 times the first snowfall of the year. It was a pain to say the least. Couldn't fix the problem and now its scrap, Im sure. Its frustrating when a truck overheats in the winter. I feel your pain.