1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by atvriderinmass, Dec 11, 2010.

1. atvriderinmass

atvriderinmass Senior Member

I'm looking for a used F250. Is there any certain yrs or engines i should stay away from? Looking for a gasser. Looking for something a few years old anyway. thanks
  2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

If your looking at a "few" year old gasser its ether going to be a 5.4 or a v-10 which were the same from 99-10 so it all depends on what body style you like and what the best deal you can find is. Both the v-10 and the 5.4 have been known to blow out spark plugs and have manifold bolts rot off. we have both motors and have not had any issues yet.
  3. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

What are you looking for? I have a 99 F250 with a 7.6 ultramount for sale. PM for more info
  4. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

99-02 have the possiblity of throwing spark plugs. in 2003 they updated theheads to fix this problem.

in 2005 both the 5.4 and 6.8 went 3V and got a bump in power.

both are agreat motors, i have a 5.4 and 2V 6.8 myself and LOVE THEM!!!
  5. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

2004-2007 5.4 liter 3 valve motors had some interesting issues with getting the spark plugs out when they did need to be changed. (They certainly fixed the plug bow out issue though.) Now that enough people have done plug changes, the furor has died down and you can get a set of plus changed out for under $400.00 at most places.

The same motor has had some Cam Phaser issues that Ford claims will not affect the longevity of the motor, but do make a hell of a racket. The 2005 (5.4) motors had Fuel Injector issues that Ford extended the warranty on to 100,000 miles.

Interestingly enough, I sat through a Quality presentation last week where the number two Quality guy from Ford spoke about the company's Quality turn around. In his presentation and in our conversation afterwards, he noted that 2005 was the bottom of the barrel for Ford from a Quality persepective. Every year since then their Quality has improved. This of course perfectly explains why my 2005 F-150 was such a turd.
  6. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Dont' forget that the 05's and up come with the 5 speed auto too (vs the 04 and down 4 speed auto).
  7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

All good points. Depends on how much money you are looking to spend. I'd keep your eye out for an '05+ V10, but thats just my opinion. They are hard to find and bring a good price tag with low miles, but if you are looking for a solid gas work horse they won't let you down. I'm going to be in the market for one soon (yes I know, selling a diesel to get a gasser! Whats wrong with me?!)
  8. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

Heck Im thinking of doing the same trhing what with the goverment coming out and stating that diesel is going to at 15% ethenol !!! Going to burn some stuff up in a diesel that for sure...
  9. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

as for a response... I have newer fords and older fords ( take a look at my signature). for what it is worth I abslutely love my 97's for body style and plowing.. they are beasts..
    If you can find a good one they are a gem.. Especially with the solid axel
  10. DeereFarmer

Gotta love the '95 to '97 body style with a 7.3L in it. I just bought a beater today and can't wait to get her home. I've wanted this body style since I could remember.
  11. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Go for a V 10 it wont let you down :cool:. I just got mine its not the greatest on gas but the power I cant complain about. I personally don't know a lot about the V 10, but I can say I haven't heard a bad thing about them.
  12. DeereFarmer

As stated with above about the V10, just watch the manifold studs and spark plugs (mostly on earier models) and you'll be fine. Its a great motor. I wish I never sold mine. I did have almost $2000 worth of manifold and head work done under warranty on mine. Other than that it was a beast. Hauled whatever I wanted it to without a hesitation. I'd go for an '05 or newer only because of the 5 speed with the tow/haul mode.