1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F250 PSD Tranny

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ladder15, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Ladder15

Ladder15 Junior Member

I've got an '03 F250 7.3L automatic with about 72k miles on the ticker. When it's cold ... say 20F or less, the transmission won't shift out of 3rd (on the highway) for about 2 - 3 miles. Even when plugged in overnight. (I wasn't sure if any residual heat would find its way back to the tranny). Seems like it's fine after it warms up a bit.
    Is it time for a tranny flush and fluid change?
    Anyone else have this issue?
    Any other suggestions?
    I appreciate any help.

L15

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Both of mine do that

Needs to warm up a bit more

3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Its probably programmed that way. So much for not letting your motor rev out when it cold.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Well, since your recommended service interval is 50K and if you haven't done it yet, that would be a great place to start.

I try to have mine done annually.

5. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

I believe it's programmed that way- gotta let the fluid warm up first.

Plugging the block heater in won't do much for the transmission fluid.

6. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

I'd say the tranny fluid is still cold. Mine shifts hard and at a high RPM if not warmed up. Generally this is not a problem when not plugged in as the tranny fluid warms up faster then the engine, but when plugged in the engine temp comes up much faster

7. Ladder15

Ladder15 Junior Member

Thanks guys... I figured it was due. I've owned the truck for 6 years and it is just starting to "slow shift" into 4th when cold.

L15

8. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

All our plow trucks (7.3, 6.0) get tranny flushes every year after the snow season is over. My 7.3 used to do that too when cold, but not anymore now that we flushem'.

9. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

The converter will not lockup until trans temp reaches a certain temp. 70* I think. Maybe it is shifting, but the RPM's are high due to no lockup.

10. Ladder15

Ladder15 Junior Member

Update...
    I had the dealer flush and fill, he also dropped the pan for inspection. Been driving it about a week now, and it seems a little better but still runs at higher RPM for a bit when cold. I'd say snowandgo must be correct about the lockup.
    L15