1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by alpine692003, Jan 30, 2005.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 Senior Member

:rolleyes: Hey guys,

I'm in a bind and I'm not sure what to get for my truck.. Both shall be 4x4 and automatic transmission.. I'll use it as my snow plow and landscaper truck.

What you guys think is the better option?
  2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

You cant go wrong with either rig, so youll probably be making a choice in transmissions. IF that is the case, the Dodge auto tranny SUCKS, and I mean huge. I'd go with the Ford.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 2000 Dodge automatic with 110,000 miles. Trailers atleast 3 days a week and plows 200 hours every year. Same tranny, I have replaced 2 sensors in the tranny, the exact same 2 I did in my 98. I do drive real easy but this truck has been very good to me. I am 6'4" and the seats in the Dodge are long and very comfortable.
  4. SCBrown

SCBrown Junior Member

Both are fine trucks.
    Its true the old Dodge tranys are crap, I have first hand knowledge.
    If your buying new then I believe the new trans. is allot better.
    Motor wise, NOTHING can compare with the Cummins.
    The Ford is a nice truck, I prefer the Cummins over the Powerstroke, but I'm sure you will hear different from others.
  5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

what year ford?
    with the dodges automatics they have worked all the bugs out of the new ones.
  6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

ProSeasons, what rock have you been living under?? As a proud Dodge owner (knock on wood) my last too trucks have held up great. They were used hard but not abused. :) If I recall the new Super Duty's might be placed in the "SUCKS" catagory for trannys. Do a lil research and you might be in for a big suprise about Fords new tranny's. Im sure any of the manufacturers stock trannys wont hold up to a tricked out diesal, specially a smoke spewing Cummins! But I guess that is what an APS tranny is for, to keep the beast movin forward.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  7. SCBrown

SCBrown Junior Member

Thats ATS tranny. :)
    Can't go wrong with DTT trans. either. :D
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Actually I did mean APS Precision Mfg, out of Cali. Ats and Dtt are fine products too! :)
  9. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

Ok how are the manual trannies on the dodge??
  10. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

If you get a Ford my reccomandation would be year 2000 or older as the engine is better than the newer ones.
  11. SCBrown

SCBrown Junior Member

My mistake.
    Didn't know about APS.
  12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I would strongly discourage a purchase of a Ford 5 speed at this time. I am on owner of 2 of them, bith f which have been replaced already. 1 with a whole 500 miles, the other made it to about 15K. I have absolutely no faith in these rebuilds at this point in time and will not until we go a couple years without any problems. These are supposedly the 'new and improved' 5 speeds.

I am also in need of another truck and am seriously considering a Dodge after the crap I am getting out of Ford. I own 6 Fords, 2 350's, 2 550's, 1 F800, and 1 F750. The 7.3's with 4 speeds are fine, the new ones suck way more than the Dodges.
  13. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've heard about Ford's tranny's having problems. Supposed to be something working its way loose when tranny is in reverse. Also heard they were fixing the problem. Try "www.thedieselstop" and the 6.0 forums to find out if they actually are addressing the problem. I guess at this point, you should just go with the truck that you have a better gut feeling about. Also, which one you are more comfortable in. I'm a Ford guy for the moment though. Also, you should just get the 350 or 3500 if you can afford it. Having extra capacity always seems to pay off.
  14. saleen49

saleen49 Junior Member

The problem is with a snap ring that pops loose and affects 04 and very early 05 Ford Super Duty trucks, they already have a fix for this and if you have one of these trucks i would have your dealer fix it as a small number of them have been going bad, as for Dodge the brother in law just had a trans go bad in his Ram and he doesn't own a plow,
  15. pro

pro Junior Member
    from IN

Ok, here is my .02. I have had an 01,and 02 Ford w/powerstroke, and an 03 and 04 Dodge w/cummins. BOTH are great trucks. My likes w/Ford is the cab size, and the ability to warm up quickly. My likes w/Dodge are the looks, happy medium with size and function on the Crew Cab. Both Fords were the 7.3 motor and 6 speed tranny's. The 03 Dodge was a std. output w/auto tranny. (had no problems) and the 04 was a High Output w/6speed tranny.(no problems)
    It all boils down to personal preference, and for me is dealership support. Hope this helps!
  16. Mark Oomkes

The problem is that this same thing happened on our '04 with a build date of 9/03. Ford blamed it on abuse, not coming to a complete stop between shifting. The problem with this BS is that the service tech informed me that there is an electronic delay built into these tranny's, so whenever there is motion sensed on the output shaft, the transmission cannot shift. So I asked him how we could be shifting too fast, he said he can't answer that. The reason they told us this is because this truck did not fall into Ford's build dates. I believe it is a weak point in the transmission in general. There is also the problem of the retaining pins that hold the reverse planetary gear in place walking their way out and grenading the transmission. 2 major problems IMO. BTW, the '04 that doesn't fall into these build dates had this problem with the retaining pins. This is what I am basing my judgement that the 5 speed is a piece of junk on.

We have had both 5 speeds rebuilt with the supposedly new parts, I still have no faith in them. The '05 started displaying the same problem the '04 had that we had in to the dealer 3X's for before it fell apart.

As for the small number going bad, you might want to drop by a Ford dealer and ask them or look in the lot after a snowfall. I don't think there is a 5 speed out there that is used for plowing that hasn't gone out yet. I can list off a dozen just here in GR from 1 dealer. A dozen nationwide would be a small number. You might also want to check the Ford Forum and see how many are on there, just from PS.
  17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The Dodge manuals are awesome. Dodge autos are so so. Ford has auto trouble with 04-05 beyond the snapring- one of the sprag pins has a tendancy of working loose as well as some of them having serious delays in d to reverse shifting (Dodge has this sometimes also)

PSD (which is IH Navstar) is crap for 04/05- I would hold off until at least 06- lots of problems with the incorrect front main seals being installed creating major oil leaks, turbo chargers blowing up, PCM's failing, etc. Ford is contemplating severing relations with Navstar and falling back on their own 6.0/7.2 design (that's the industry buzz confirmed by a Ford Zone CSR) Many people here have had no problems with their 04/05 PSD- but over 1/3rd of the E350's sold in my zone have had major (ie all or most) of the above problems.

Want the best overall go Dodge Cummins with a 6 speed manual- problem solved.
  18. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I have a chevy with a duramax/allison :cool: and I may be slightly bias in that respect ;)

I will say my Dad bought a 05 550 with the new 6.0 and the new 5 speed. I truley hope I dont have to tell him a big fat "I told you so". He had deccent luck with his 2000 550(still has it) I dont like the way the trans operates compared to the allison and I still dont think its as good. I do LOVE the new 05's turning radius. The darn thing is a 4x4 and it still turns like a geo metro! Alright power, dont like how the turbo spools but thats just me I suppose and how the programing is set up.

Dodge has "supposedly" fixed thier famous trans problems. If you get a bit older Dodge there are enough crazy cummins guys that have been tearing stuff up that there is a large aftermarket following that make deecent stuff and has actually proved the phrase "you cant polish a turd" wrong. Even the older ford trans wernt the best they were just better than the older dodge tranys.

My personal vote would be a 01-04.5 Chevy D/A(a new one would be good too), or a dodge or a 7.3 powerstroke. JMO
  19. Mark Oomkes

I'm with you on the turbo spool. Seems like it takes forever. And yes the turning is awesome, just can't wait to find out what Ford didn't engineer strong enough up there as well. Seeing they can't build a transmission or a 4WD shifter.
  20. alpine692003

alpine692003 Senior Member

WHy is the tranny on the DODGE so horrible?!?!?

:nono: :nono: